Adoption (2)

"Lia! Come here baby!" Zoe called. Kalia came downstairs and Zoe sighed.

"I just got the school newsletter email, it says something about heritage day?" Zoe asked.

"Yeah?" Kalia asked.

"Don't you want to participate?" Zoe asked.

"No. I mean, everyone makes fun of me enough already. I don't want to be an even bigger loser." Kalia said.

"What do you mean that everyone makes fun of you?" Zoe asked, looking at her 13 year old.

"They said that I'm weird because I don't look like you and Dad and Finn and Rosie." Kalia said sadly.

"When did this start?" Zoe asked, standing in front of her daughter.

"A while ago." Kalia asked.

"Sweetheart, why didn't you tell us?" Zoe asked.

"I don't know!" Kalia cried.

"Do you want me to talk to your teacher?" Zoe asked.

"No! That'll just make it worse!" Kalia said.

"Honey, you can tell your teacher about this." Zoe said.

"Well then I'll be a snitch and no one will talk to me." Kalia said. Zoe looked at her daughter and sighed.

"I think I need to talk to your teacher about this. Kalia, this is a problem." Zoe said. Kalia sighed.

"No Mom. I don't want you to talk to my teacher." Kalia said.

"Look, honey, I know that you feel like you can't talk to your teacher. And I know new schools are hard to adjust to. But if you talk to Ms Cameron, she can help you." Zoe said. She reached to push a piece of hair behind Kalia's ear when Kalia groaned and moved away from her mother.

"You don't get it." She muttered, walking out of the kitchen. Zoe stood there dumbfounded as Kalia stamped upstairs. She heard the front door open and giggling.

"Mommy!" Zoe turned her head and saw her two younger children running towards her.

4 years ago, Zoe and Evan found out Zoe was pregnant and they ended up having twins.

"Hi you two! How was school?" Zoe asked. Rosie smiled as her mother lifted her into the air, balancing her on her hip.

"Good!" The twins said at the same time. Zoe lowered Rosie down and sighed.

"Why don't you two go play, I have to talk to Daddy." Zoe said. Rosie and Finn took off and Evan kissed Zoe.

"How was your day?" Evan asked.

"It was fine. I'm worried about Lia." Zoe said.

"Why? What's going on?" Evan asked.

"She's being bullied for being adopted." Zoe said softly.

"She is?" Evan asked. Zoe nodded.

"I'm going to call Ms Cameron tomorrow." Zoe said. Evan nodded.

"I'm gonna go talk to her." Evan said. Zoe nodded and Evan asked upstairs.

+++

"Hi Ms Cameron, it's Zoe Hansen." Zoe said.

"Hi Mrs Hansen! How are you?" Ms Cameron asked.

"I'm actually a little concerned. Kalia came home last night and said that there are kids in her class that have been making fun of her." Zoe said.

"Oh my goodness I had no idea this was going on! Did she say who?" Ms Cameron asked.

"No. She said that everyone was making fun of her for not looking like the rest of our family but she never gave us names." Zoe said.

"Okay. Well I can keep an eye on the situation right now, but if it gets any worse, please let me know." Ms Cameron said.

"Okay perfect. Thank you." Zoe said. She hung up and texted Evan.

Kalia's teacher hasn't noticed anything.
She said she'd keep an eye on it though.

Evan:
Well I mean I guess that's
all we can ask for right now...

Zoe sighed and put her phone down. What was she going to do?

+++

A few weeks had gone by. Kalia seemed to be more happy.

"Kalia! Come here!" Zoe called. Kalia came downstairs and smiled at her mom.

"What's up?" She asked.

"I just wanted to see how things at school were going." Zoe asked, continuing to make dinner.

"It's good. I talked to Ms Cameron a few weeks ago and she fixed it. And now I have friends." Kalia said smiling. Zoe smiled and hugged her.

"That's so great! I'm so proud of you!" Zoe said. Kalia hugged her and smiled.

"Can I go to my friends house tonight?" Kalia asked. Zoe nodded.

"Of course sweetheart."