Chilltober 2: Wind

"Mommy!" Mallory yelled. Zoe came into the living room, wiping her hands on a dish towel.

"What's the matter pumpkin?" Zoe asked.

"The scratching and howling won't stop!" Mallory whined. Zoe looked at her and knelt in front of her.

"What scratching Mal?" Zoe asked. 

"The scratching on the window. I think it's a monster trying to get in. It keeps scratching and howling." Mallory said.

"What would this monster look like?" Zoe asked. Mallory was quiet for a minute.

"He's purple. With bright green polka dots on his back." Mallory said.

"Ooh that sounds scary. Does this monster have any claws, or spikes?" Zoe asked. Mallory was quiet before gasping and running upstairs. Zoe stood up as Mallory came flying down the stairs with her markers and paper in hand. She laid it on the table and started colouring.

"What are you drawing pumpkin?" Zoe asked, turning back to what she was cooking.

"I'm gonna draw my monster for you. So then you can see him too." Mallory explained. Zoe laughed softly as the wind continued to howl outside. 

"Don't forget to name your monster Mal. He wouldn't be complete without a name." Zoe reminded her. 

Mallory nodded as her marker squeaked against the paper. Mallory was quiet for a long time until she stopped colouring and turned to look at her mother. Mallory liked watching her mother do things. She smiled and turned back to her colouring. 

Zoe wiped off her hands and put the pan in the oven.

"Alright Mal, let's see what you've got so far." Zoe said, looking over Mallory's shoulder. 

Mallory had drawn an animal that resembled a dragon. It was purple with green spots, and a long tail that was covered in spikes. There were spikes all down the monster's back and the monster had very long talons on all four feet.

"Oh my gosh Mal, that is a scary monster. We better be sure not to show Daddy or Tia." Zoe warned.

"Why not?" Mallory asked.

"Because, it might give them nightmares." Zoe whispered. Mallory giggled and Zoe kissed her head.

"Lets just make this our little secret for now, okay girly?" Zoe asked.

Mallory nodded and laughed.

"Just our secret!" She whispered.