Chilltober 18: maze

There were too many twists and turns in this maze for Mallory.

It had been over an hour of aimless walking down the paths of the corn maze and Mallory was exhausted. Tia had been crying for 10 minutes.

"Shh, I know baby, I know." Zoe soothed softly as Evan pushed the empty stroller.

"Mommy I'm tired." Mallory whined.

"I know sweetheart, but hopefully we'll be out soon." Zoe assured her.

"But we've been trapped for forever!" Mallory cried. Tears filled the six year olds eyes and Evan scooped her up.

"It's okay Mal, I know it's a lot, but we'll be out so so soon. You're being such a brave big girl, helping Mommy and Daddy and Tia through the maze." Evan soothed.

"Daddy I'm tired." Mallory whimpered.

"I know sweetheart, but don't you want to see when we get out?" Evan asked. Mallory nodded and buried her face in her father's shoulder.

"Evan, we have to get out of here." Zoe whispered.

"I know honey, but we can't just teleport, we still have to find our way out." Evan replied. Zoe adjusted the screaming baby in her arms and made a left turn.

+++ 

After another hour, the Hansen family emerged from the maze.

Both girls were fast asleep and Zoe pulled her phone out and snapped a quick photo of both girls.

"Both of our mothers are going to want to hear this story." She said, laughing quietly.

"You mean the story of how Mallory begged us to do a corn maze, and then got overwhelmed, and fell asleep?" Evan asked.

"Yeah, that one." Zoe said.

Mallory slowly opened her eyes and lifted her head off her fathers shoulder.

"Did we finish?" She mumbled.

"We did! We're out now. Do you wanna go home sweetheart?" Zoe asked. Mallory nodded and lowered her head.

"Alright, lets get these Sleeping Beauties home." Evan whispered. Zoe chuckled as she followed her husband to the car.