Chilltober 19: bobbing

There were more screaming children than Zoe could count.

Evan had dragged the family to a kids Halloween party that his studio was throwing and Zoe would've had preferred to stay home and sit on the couch.

Mallory had run up to her several times, talking quickly and incoherently at times about things she had seen or done and Zoe felt awful, but she wasn't incredibly interested.

"That's awesome honey." She deadpanned for what felt like the millionth time that afternoon. She rested her hand on her head and Evan walked over to her.

"How are you?" He asked, handing her a cup of hot chocolate.

"I'm exhausted." Zoe replied.

"What's the matter?" Evan asked.

"I am so tired Evan, my entire body hurts and I feel sick and the noise is killing my brain and I know you want to be here-"

"What makes you think I wanted to come? Mal saw the flyer and begged me." Evan said.

"Can we get her and go?" Zoe asked. Evan nodded and led Zoe to the apple bobbing station.

Mallory had her head face down in the barrel and Evan and Zoe watched and she surfaced with an apple between her teeth.

"Yay Mal! Great job!" Evan encouraged. Zoe pulled her into her arms and Evan grabbed the stroller.

"I had fun!" Mallory stated, eating the apple in her hand. Zoe smiled.

"I'm glad."