I Can't Feel My Leg

"Is this Evan Hansen?"

"Yes. How can I help you?" Evan said, adjusting his phone.

"We have Zoe Murphy in the ER at Saint Ambrose right now. Her condition is stable but we were wondering how quickly you could get here?" The nurse on the other end said. Evan felt his stomach drop.

"I'm on my way." Was all he could say before hanging up and shoving his feet into his sneakers. Saint Ambrose was easily a 25 minute drive but Evan grabbed his keys and his jacket and got in his car.

+++

"Can I help you find someone sir?" The man behind the counter asked.

"I'm looking for Zoe Murphy." Evan said.

"She's currently in surgery. She was in a bad car accident and her surgical team is trying to see what they can do about her leg." The man said.

"What about her leg?" Evan asked.

"She was very badly injured. They're not sure they're going to be able to save her leg. They're going to fix what they can right now, but the leg may have to be amputated." The man explained. Evan looked at him blankly.

"I know it's a lot to take in. I'll have Doctor Oudyk come and find you when they're finished." The man said. Evan nodded and sat in the waiting room.

After what seemed like years, a young woman with brown hair came down the hall. She looked at Evan and walked towards him.

"Are you Evan Hansen?" She asked. Evan nodded.

"You're Doctor Oudyk?" Evan asked.

"Yes. I'm the lead surgeon on Miss Murphy's case. I trust that Tyler has filled you in?" She asked.

"Yeah. He said you might not be able to save her leg." Evan said.

"Well after the surgery, we know we won't be able to. It will have to be amputated. Right now, it's patched up but we'll be going back to surgery in a little while to amputate her leg." Doctor Oudyk said.

"Why couldn't you do it during surgery?" Evan asked.

"Well, we have to let Miss Murphy-"

"Zoe."

"Pardon?"

"Just call her Zoe." Evan said.

"Okay. We have to let Zoe know about what's going to be happening. If we went through without telling her, she can file for a lawsuit. She also would have been under anesthesia for far too long." Doctor Oudyk explained. Evan nodded.

"Is she awake?" Evan asked.

"She's not awake yet. She should be waking up in the next few minutes though." Doctor Oudyk said. Evan nodded again and Doctor Oudyk looked at him.

"We can go now though, be there when she wakes up." Oudyk offered. Evan nodded and followed her to Zoe's room.

+++

"Evan..." Zoe whispered. Her eyes opened and Evan was sitting beside her.

"Hey Zo." He said.

"Wh-Who's this?" Zoe asked.

"Hi Zoe, I'm Doctor Oudyk. Can you tell me what you remember from this afternoon?" Oudyk asked.

"Um... I remember getting in my car and driving. And I remember someone crashing into me and squishing my car into another one. And that's it." Zoe said.

"Evan, why can't I feel my leg?" Zoe asked.

"It's going to be okay Zo." Evan said gently.

"You sustained very serious injuries. Your right leg was crushed and as a result it will need to be amputated." Oudyk said.