Chilltober 22: Hallucination

not related at all to any of the other one shots in this series
TW: mental illness/schizophrenia

Zoe unlocked her door and closed it behind her. She adjusted her backpack and kicked her shoes off. She walked up into her room and closed the door behind her.

"Hey baby." 

She smiled and saw Evan sitting on her bed.

"Hey you." She said. She set her backpack down and sat at her desk. She felt Evan come up behind her.

"What are you working on?" He asked, leaning on the back of her chair.

"Psych. We're learning about schizophrenia and other mental illnesses." Zoe explained. Evan nodded.

"Interesting." Evan said. Zoe nodded and opened her laptop. Evan sat quietly on her bed for a little while.

After some time had passed, Evan spoke up.

"Do you love me?" 

Zoe stopped and turned to look at him.

"Of course I do." Zoe said simply.

"And you took your meds today?" Evan asked. Zoe nodded.

"I took them this morning." Zoe lied. 

"Good." Evan said. Zoe felt him kiss the top of her head and she heard the front door open.

"Zoe?" Her mother called.

"Upstairs!" Zoe called back. Her mother came upstairs and looked in Zoe's room.

"What are you doing honey?" Cynthia asked.

"Working on my psych with Evan." Zoe explained. Cynthia nodded.

"Mom, can Evan stay for dinner?" Zoe asked excitedly.

"Of course sweetheart." Cynthia said. She had a sad smile on her face and she grabbed the medication bottle off Zoe's desk.

"Did you take your meds this morning?" Cynthia asked.

Zoe was silent.

"Zoe. You know you have to take your meds in the morning." Cynthia said.

"I didn't want to." Zoe said.

"I know, but you have to. The meds are going to help you feel better." Cynthia explained. She took out a pill and handed it to Zoe.

"Now, please." Cynthia said. Zoe turned and looked at Evan who shrugged.

"But I don't want to." Zoe said.

"You have to. Now, let's go. This dose is already late." Cynthia said. Zoe popped the pill in her mouth and took a drink of water, swallowing the pill.

"Good girl." Cynthia said. She kissed Zoe's head and left her room.

"Can you close the door?" Zoe asked.

"You know the rules. Doors stay open." Cynthia said. Zoe sighed and Cynthia left, leaving the door half open. 

As Cynthia walked down the hall, she heard Zoe laughing and squealing Evan's name and her heart broke. 

Evan had died almost 18 months ago and Zoe was still seeing him. She'd been on the schizophrenia medication for almost 6 months and she was still having hallucinations. She knew she'd have to take Zoe back to the doctor soon and she sighed. 

Zoe hated the doctor.