Love Ain't

TW: pressuring people into sex and mentions of pressuring people into sex

I may not know what love is but I sure know what love ain't.

+++

"Hello?" Evan asked, picking up his phone.

"Hi, it's me."

"Hey Zo, what's up?" Evan asked. Zoe sighed.

"Matt's being a dick. Can I come over?" Zoe asked. Evan smiled.

"Yeah of course you can!" Evan said. Zoe smiled.

"Thanks. I'll be over in 10." And she hung up. Evan sighed.

Zoe had been with Matt for almost 2 years. Evan wasn't sure why she hadn't broken it off yet, she said she was going to. Matt wasn't good for Zoe. He ditched her, he pressured her into things she didn't want, and he was a total dick.

15 minutes later, Zoe walked into his house. He smiled and she pulled her boots off.

"Hey Zo!" He said. Zoe smiled as he hugged her.

"Hey!" She said.

"So what happened tonight?" Evan asked. Zoe groaned.

"We were going to go see a movie and when I was getting ready to go, he decided that he didn't want to go. And when I asked why, he said that 'I wouldn't understand' but I'm pretty sure he's just sulking. He was trying to pressure me into sex again." Zoe said.

"And did you give in?" Evan asked.

"No of course not. I'm not going to do something I'm not ready to do. At least not with him. Matt's an asshole." Zoe said.

"Then why are you still with him?" Evan asked. Zoe sighed.

"I don't know. It's really not that bad." Zoe said. She sat on the couch and Evan sighed.

"I don't want you getting hurt." Evan said. Zoe laughed.

"I won't Evan. Don't worry." Zoe said.

"As your best friend, it's my job to worry." Evan said. Zoe laughed and rested her head on his shoulder.

"What would I do without you?" She asked. Evan shrugged.

"Perish." Evan said. Zoe laughed.

"Ha. Ha." She said. Evan smiled as he turned the TV on.

"Thank you for letting me hang out here." Zoe said. Evan smiled and nodded.

"No worries Zo. This is what friends do."

+++

"Nah, I'm almost home. I got off work early. The audition went amazing. An agent offered to buy me a drink afterwards. No I'm gonna go home and surprise Matt. Okay. I'll call you later! Bye!" Zoe said.

She stopped a few feet away from her house and saw Matt pull up. She watched as he helped a girl out of the passenger side and they walked towards the house.

"Nah, I'm home alone tonight." She heard Matt say. She watched as they walked inside and Matt closed the curtains. She pulled her phone out and called Evan.

"Hi. Change in plans. Matt has some girl at our place. So is it okay if I come over? You can say no, I can always go to Lonnie's." Zoe said.

"No way, of course you can come over." Evan said. Zoe smiled.

"Thank you. I owe you one." Zoe said.

"Actually, I think you owe me two." Evan said.

"Easy Hansen. I'll be over in 15." Zoe said. She hung up and turned, walking away from her house.

+++

"Hey baby! I didn't see you last night." Matt said, going to kiss Zoe.

"I came by the house last night after my audition and after turning down getting a drink with an agent - you're welcome - only to find you laughing with some girl!" Zoe snapped.

"You were spying on me?" Matt asked.

"I was surprising you! You made it spying by being shady! You know what, I can't with you right now. You better call 'Bucky With The Good Hair.'" Zoe said turning to leave.

"You mean Kailee?"

"Kailee? What kind of name is Kailee? Ew." Zoe said, stopping.

"Kailee is just a friend." Matt said. Zoe crossed her arms and looked at him.

"Stop saying it like it's a normal name! And if she was just a friend, why did you draw the shades when you went inside the house?" She asked, getting more and more angry.

"So we could see the TV. She came over to... watch a movie." Matt lied.

"Oh, okay, uh, but also, no. And if Kerler or whatever she calls herself, was just a friend, why were you wearing your date-night clothes?" Zoe asked.

"What?" Matt asked.

"That leather jacket you showed me in episode 204 of our relationship." Zoe said.

"I don't know. It was all I had clean?" Matt said.

"'Oh I don't know, it was all I had clean.'" Zoe imitated. She screamed.

"You told me, the first time we ever went out, that you wore that jacket when you were sure about a date. You haven't worn it once since we've been together, but suddenly, you meet Kanfee, or whatever her name is, and suddenly it's back." Zoe snapped. Matt looked at her and she sighed.

"This, this is done. And since my name is on the lease, you have until tomorrow to get your shit out of my apartment. Maybe Kerlee will let you stay with her." Zoe snapped before turning around and walking away.

+++

Evan heard someone knock on his door and when he opened it, Zoe was on the other side.

"Hi." She said softly. Evan looked at her.

"Zoe what happened?" He asked.

"Matt cheated on me. So I broke up with him." Zoe said. Evan looked at her and she sighed.

"Come in." He said softly. She walked in and Evan looked at her.

"You seem upset." Evan said.

"Well I got cheated on and I broke up with my boyfriend who I've been with for almost two years." Zoe said.

"Zoe, I don't know a lot about healthy relationships. And I may not know what love is, but I know that wasn't love. You couldn't stand being with him. You were here with me more than you were there with him. What does that say about your relationship?" Evan asked. Zoe looked at Evan who took a deep breath, walked over and kissed her. She pulled away and Evan looked at her.

"I'm sorry. That was uncalled for." Evan said. Zoe kissed him again and Evan smiled.

"You're right." Zoe whispered. Evan smiled as she kissed him again.