Chilltober 23: haunted

Mallory rolled over in her bed and groaned.

The purple digital numbers on her clock read 3:29. She desperately wanted to fall back asleep when she heard a sound downstairs.

There was a creak.

Mallory inhaled sharply and heard the creak again.

Ghosts.

Mallory had two options. She could run to her parents room and risk the ghost seeing her, or she could stay in her room and risk the ghost getting her.

Mallory took a deep breath, grabbed her purple bunny, and threw the covers back before running to her parents room.

She gently shut the door and walked over to her mother.

Her mother was beautiful. And she looked so peaceful. Maybe it wasn't worth waking her.

Then the creak came again.

Mallory desperately tapped her mother's shoulder.

"What is it Mal?" Zoe asked, not opening her eyes.

"Mommy there's a ghost. Our house is haunted." Mallory whispered.

"It's not baby, go back to bed okay?" Zoe assured her.

"But the house creams and there's no one awake, Mommy it's a ghost!" Mallory said, her voice rising.

Zoe opened her eyes and sighed.

"What would you like me to do Mal?" Zoe groaned.

"Can I sleep with you Mommy?" Mallory begged. Zoe sighed and pulled the covers back. Mallory climbed in and snuggled up to her mother.

"I love you sweetheart." Zoe said.

"Love you Mama."