Single Parent

Zoe sighed and raked a hand through her hair. She had finally gotten her 5 year old daughter to bed and she was looking through the paperwork her lawyer had sent over earlier that evening. She took a sip from her wine glass and heard the patter of small feet down the hallway.

"Mommy." Zoe looked at the doorway to the living room.

"How did you get out of bed Nastya?" Zoe asked, picking up the small girl.

"I'm not tired Mommy." The little girl whispered.

"Anya, you need to go to sleep. It's late." Zoe said.

Anya rested her head on Zoe's chest and Zoe sighed. She sat back on the couch and picked up the paperwork.

She started signing the many forms and stopped when she felt Anya relax. She stood up, carrying the small girl to her bedroom and tucked her in. She pressed a kiss to Anya's forehead before quietly shutting the door and walking back to finish the forms.

+^+

"Anya! Come on baby, we'll be late!" Zoe called. She poured coffee in her travel mug and double checked Anya's backpack as Anya came running down the hall.

"There's my pretty girl all ready for school!" Zoe said proudly. Anya beamed up at her mother and Zoe smiled.

"Okay Nastya, time to go!" Zoe said.

She helped Anya put her backpack on and grabbed her purse, her work bag, her coffee mug and Anya's hand before turning off the lights and leaving the apartment, locking the door behind her.

"Are you ready Anya?" Zoe asked.

"Uh huh!" Anya said, pressing the elevator button.

"And Daddy is going to try and pick you up okay?" Zoe said.

"Daddy!" Anya said. Zoe nodded and walked into the elevator.

"Okay Nastya, press the 'L' button." Zoe said.

"Mommy. I knooow." Anya said giggling. Zoe smiled as the elevator started its descent.

The pair walked through the lobby and Anya waved to everyone before leaving the building and getting in Zoe's car. Zoe made sure she was safely buckled before getting in and starting the car.

"Come on Mommy! I can't be late!" Anya cried. Zoe laughed and pulled out of the parking lot and driving towards the school.

+^+

"What do we have Christy?" Zoe asked. Her assistant followed her into her office.

"Only two messages really. One from your lawyer regarding the papers he sent over and the other is a potential client. What did your lawyer send over?" Christy asked.

"Divorce papers to be finalized." Zoe said.

"You and Rob are getting divorced?!" Christy asked.

"Yeah. We weren't happy. And I knew he wasn't happy when I caught him sleeping with a woman from his work." Zoe said nonchalantly. Christy's jaw dropped.

"Sorry did you say there was a potential client?" Zoe asked.

"Yeah. He's stopping by at 1. I cleared your afternoon." Christy said turning and walking out of the office. Zoe sighed as her boss walked in.

"Hey Parker." Zoe said.

"Hey. Client coming? That's exciting." Parker said. Zoe stared looking through paperwork.

"Just a client. Nothing big." Zoe said. Parker nodded and looked around her office. Zoe looked up.

"Something I can help you with?" Zoe asked. Parker shook his head.