First Date

Inspired by a post I saw on themixedupfilesofme 's instagram when she had it way back in the day. I love love love her, please go check her stuff out❤️

Zoe looked in the mirror one more time. She thought she looked okay. She was planning on meeting Evan in the orchard for their first date since they had gotten back together.

"Zoe I- oh honey you look wonderful." Her mother said. Zoe smiled softly and her mother clipped a necklace around her neck.

"You stopped wearing it after Evan left. You should wear it again." Cynthia whispered to her daughter.

The necklace wasn't overly exciting. It had a sun and a moon charm on a silver chain with a few star charms. But Connor owned a matching one. Evan had always commented on how beautiful the necklace was and after he'd come clean, Zoe had stopped wearing it.

She turned and smiled at her mother.

"You look beautiful Zoe." Her mother said. Zoe smiled and hugged her mother.

"Thanks mom." Zoe said softly. Cynthia smiled and kissed Zoe's forehead.

"Where are you going?" Cynthia asked.

"Connor's orchard." Zoe said. Cynthia nodded.

"I see. I hear it's very nice." Cynthia commented.

"Have you not been?" Zoe asked. Cynthia shook her head.

"I can't bring myself to go." Cynthia said. Zoe sighed and looked at her clock.

"I've gotta go Mom." Zoe said. Cynthia smiled.

"Have fun. Don't be too late. Text me if you're going to be coming home later then planned." Cynthia said. Zoe nodded and kissed her mother on the cheek.

"Bye Mama." Zoe said. She walked out the front door and got into her car. She started the engine and backed out of her driveway, driving towards the orchard.

+++

Zoe pulled into the orchard and parked the car. She looked in the mirror and took a deep breath. There was no backing out now. She grabbed her purse and walked into the orchard.

And there he was.

He was sitting on the ground underneath one of the bigger trees in the orchard. He turned and his eyes landed on her. She saw him smile and instantly get up. She finally made it over to where he was sitting and saw a picnic blanket and basket.

"Hi." She said.

"Hey." Evan said. Zoe smiled awkwardly and fiddled with one of her many bracelets.

"Um, you can sit down if you want." Evan said. Zoe smiled awkwardly and sat down on the blanket.

"So..." Evan said.

"So." Zoe said.

"We've been having some really nice weather huh?" Evan asked.

Zoe's heart dropped. Awkward small talk about the weather? That was not how she wanted to spend her first date with Evan.

"Y-Yeah. It's been great. Really nice." Zoe said. Evan nodded and both teenagers looked away from the other.

Zoe smiled and started laughing. Evan looked at her as she laughed harder.

"What's so funny?" He asked.

"W-We used to put our tongues in each other's mouths. And now we're- we're talking about the weather!" Zoe said. Evan chuckled to himself and Zoe laid back in the grass laughing.

"So, all awkwardness aside, how have you been?" Zoe asked, her laughing dying down.

"Good. I've been working at uh, Pottery Barn. I can get you a discount if you need home decor." Evan said. Zoe giggled.

"I think I'm okay for the time being, but thank you." Zoe said smiling.

"How about you? What's it like being a senior?" Evan asked.

"It's terrifying. It's stressful and terrifying and I don't really like it." Zoe said. Evan smiled at her.

"But you get to go to college next year, so there that." Evan said. Zoe shrugged.

"I guess so." Zoe said. Evan smiled.

"What do you want to do? Like, when you get older?" Evan asked.

"I want to be an interior designer." Zoe said. Evan smiled.

"You're not going to continue with music? Because you're so talented Zo, you shouldn't give something like that up." Evan said. Zoe shrugged.

"I haven't played in a while. I don't know I'm just not motivated I guess." She said.

"When was the last time you played?" Evan asked.

"A long time ago." Zoe said. She looked at Evan who nodded.

"Look!" Zoe said excitedly. She was pointing to the horizon and Evan looked over.

The sky was turning a pink orange colour and Evan smiled.

"The sun is setting." He said. Zoe smiled and watched as the colours changed from orange to red to pink to purple to navy blue. She looked at Evan who was staring up at the sky.

"How many constellations can you name?" Evan asked.

"Well that's the Big Dipper. And that ones Orion's Belt, and the Little Dipper, and that's the Virgo constellation over there!" Zoe said, pointing to different forms in the stars. Evan smiled.

"You've gotten better." Evan said. Zoe smiled and looked at him.

"I've been practicing." Zoe said proudly. Evan smiled and looked up at the sky.

"You have."

Zoe looked up at the stars and sighed happily.

"This is nice." Zoe said softly. Evan chuckled.

"It is. I've missed you." Evan said. Zoe smiled and rolled into her side so she was looking at him.

"I've missed you too." Zoe said softly. Evan smiled and looked at his phone.

"It's getting late." Evan said.

Zoe nodded and sat up. Evan smiled before helping her up and packing the blanket and the basket up. He reached for her hand and Zoe took it with a smile on her face. The pair started walking towards the exit and Zoe interlocked her fingers with Evan's.

Evan walked her to her car and smiled.

"I had fun." Zoe said. Evan looked at her with a smile.

"I'm glad. I had fun too." Evan said.

Zoe smiled and Evan went to hug her. She tilted her head up and their lips met. Zoe smiled and realized that this was what she had been missing. She pulled away gently and Evan rested his forehead on hers. She smiled.

"I'll text you when I get home." She breathed.

"I'll text you back." Evan said. Zoe smiled and kissed him again.

"I'm holding you to that." She said.

She got into her car and watched as Evan got into his. She smiled to herself and stared the engine, knowing this wouldn't be the last date that she would be having with Evan.

A/N

I just wanted to tell you guys that this book is going to be updated less frequently because I'm trying to focus on my Zoevan Christmas book. The updates will come but they'll be less frequent.

Xoxo
Sophie