2.93 "Negative"

Next day

Next day. morning. 

Caroline and i were sitting on her bed with a pregnancy test in her hands.

Turned out she's pregnant with Ric's babies. Well, that's what she's saying but i don't hear any heartbeats and neither does she. Valerie told her that last night.

Ric "Well, simple enough. Two lines you're pregnant, one line you're not."

He was pretty nervous.

Caroline "And how many lines if you've been mystically knocked up by a coven of dead witches?"

Ric smiled " Guess we'll find out in three minutes."

Caroline "This is crazy! I mean, you're an occult studies professor. Have you ever come across anything about a pregnant vampire?"

Ric's smile faded and he shook his head "No. But until a few weeks ago, I'd never heard of a stone that was full of tormented vampire souls, either."

Caroline looked at me. 

I sighed "i've never heard of a pregnant vampire, Sorry"

She sighed and leaned her head against my shoulder "But how would it even be possible? I'm technically dead."

Ric "Well, your body basically functions normally. Your heart beats. You breathe. I mean, is it that far outside the realm of possibility that your body could support a baby or two?"

Caroline asked confused "Why would the coven want me to?"

Ric " I don't think they had a choice. The Gemini were all dying. They couldn't let the future of their coven perish along with them, so they had to put the babies someplace safe, inside a body that... that wouldn't die."

Caroline looked at the test and gave it to me "tell me when it's time. "

I rolled my eyes and looked at it when the timer went off.

Caroline and Ric looked at me.

Me " Negative. "

Caroline breathed out relieved. 

Ric shook his head confused "I don't understand. I mean, Valerie was so certain."

Caroline "Well, I guess she was wrong, or playing some twisted game. Either way, I trust that a lot more than I trust her."

He held his hand out and i gave him the test.

Caroline gestured toward the test in Alaric's hands. He was devastated. 

She sighed " And I'm really sorry. I know how much you wanted this."

Alaric nodded.

She answered it " Hey, Matt... Now's not really a good time."

Matt "Bonnie and I found two dozen people compelled to hang out at the high school last night. I've been trying to call her, but she won't pick up. I'm starting to get a little worried."

Caroline"I think she's with Enzo."

I nodded "that's what she told us"

Matt asked shocked "What? Well, now I'm a lot worried. What the hell is she doing with him?"

Caroline shook her head "I don't know. Were you able to clear them out?"

Matt "We had to tranquilize them just to get them out of there, but they were all back this morning like they never left."

My eyes widened. I felt my phone buzz and looked at it. It was Stefan. I ignored the call.

Caroline asked confused "Why would someone compel people to gather at the high school in an abandoned town?"

Matt "Hey, Care, Adi, How fast can you two get to the grill?"

Caroline and i looked at each other.

At the grill. 

Caroline and i walked inside and our jaw's dropped. There were a lots of people sitting around but no one said nor did anything.

Matt "I found more at the courthouse and another dozen at the supermarket."

Caroline "What's with all the IVs?"

Matt "Saline... to keep them hydrated. Which you'd only need if you were gonna keep them here for a while."

Me "That's sad. I actually feel sorry these people"

Caroline stopped in front of a woman who was sitting motionless in her chair. She leaned forward to look at the woman in the eyes before waving her hand in front of her face, which brought no response from the woman.

Caroline " They're using them as human blood banks."

She sighed and turned to us " I guess we know what the Heretics are having for Thanksgiving dinner."

Matt "Problem is I can't find a single bite mark on any of them, which is somehow creepier. They're not being fed on. They're being fed."

He turned toward the nearby table, which was covered in take-out containers " I found these in the trashcan. This is salmon, steak. Iron-rich foods-- probably to boost their red blood cell count. It's like someone's fattening the cattle for the slaughter."

Caroline suddenly gagged and covered her mouth. She rushed to the nearby trashcan and threw up. Matt looked worried and sick.

Matt " Whoa, Care. Hey. Um... Are you okay?"

She leaned against the trashcan and whipped her mouth "Yeah, I'm fine."

I held back a laugh and Caroline glared at me.

Matt "No, you're not fine. You just puked."

Caroline "I... I think I had an expired blood bag last night or something. You know, and then the talk of the food and the iron and the slaughtered cattle..."

I rolled my eyes knowing exactly what's going on with her.

Caroline closed her eyes trying to calm down.

Matt tried to make sense out of something that did not make sense at all " ...So you're a vampire with food poisoning?"

Caroline nodded irritated "Yes, Matt, I am a vampire with food poisoning, standing in a room of much bigger problems. So stop looking at me like you've never seen a vampire vomit before and start thinking of a way to break their compulsion."

Matt sighed "Short of turning them into vampires, I can't think of a way to break their compulsion."

Caroline "Well, maybe we don't have to break it."

She looked at me

Caroline "Maybe someone can siphon it away."

I sighed shaking my head "Caroline, no, please, don't call her"