2.131 "For Once!"

Valerie " We can bring him back. We've done it before."

Damon looked around "Where's the damn sword? Where's the sword?"

Valerie started to cry" It's my fault."

I shook my head, sobbing  "no, it's not. It's Damon's fault"

Damon nodded  "i know"

I shook my head "no, you don't"

Damon " I tried to have it all. Next time, it'll be different."

I shook my head "There won't be a next time. Wanna know why? because he's dead!"

Damon tried to touch him but i slapped his hand away "don't touch him!"

I put my head on Stefan's chest. I couldn't stop crying.

Damon "Everything will be okay, Stefan. I'll get that stone, and we'll make this right. I'm gonna save you, little brother. I promise. I promise you."

Night.

I was now pacing around trying to calm down. Stefan was dead. Again.

Damon " How long did you know you could fix Stefan's problem?"

I glared at him "What the hell are you talking about ?"

Damon " How long have you known the answer? For example-- my thinking was, "Hey, the transfer spell worked on Ric's babies. Maybe it'll work on the scar." Three years go by, and that little concept never crossed your mind? If I was a betting man-- which I am-- I would bet that you knew about the spell all along. And rather than sharing it with my brother, you lied to him."

Me "How was i supposed to know the fucking answer, man!?"

Damon "you are 500 years old, woman!"

Me "A vampire and not a fucking witch, asshole!"

Damon "but you knew somehow, you had to"

Me "I've heard of spells similar to the one we needed, Damon, but all of them would end up in something neither of us wanted. I wasn't protecting myself, I was protecting him."

Damon "By risking his life??"

I yelled "By keeping you out of it! Valerie had told me that The Phoenix Scar requires a special kind of transfer. It can only go to a blood relative, and that would've meant waking you and bringing you and all the drama that you come with back into his life-- a life which he was finally thriving in without you."

Damon " I get it. You think I'm a piece of crap. "

I crossed my arms over my chest "you are a piece of crap"

Damon "I was Before. And then I met a girl, and she made me good. And that's why I need Elena in my life. And when I get her back in my life, I will be there for Stefan."

I shook my head scoffing "So, you are going to help your brother in what? 60 years? come on, Damon, that's low, even for you"

Damon "i need her!"

Me " The only person you ever needed was by your side all along, and you abandoned him. I was there when you weren't!"

I pointed at Stefan "Now look at him and tell yourself that that wasn't your fault."

Damon shook his head "oh shut up"

Me"This is exactly why Stefan ran."

Damon froze confused " I thought Stefan ran to save me from Rayna?"

I scoffed " He ran because he knew that when the moment came, you'd let him down and choose yourself. In his heart of hearts, that's what he thinks of you, and he's right. "

My phone buzzed.

I took it out and answered "What?"

Valerie "The pheonix stone is destroyed"

My eyes widened shocked "what?"

Valerie cracked out "They didn't know... that Rayna had stabbed Stefan. That his spirit was already trapped in the Phoenix Stone. They probably thought they were doing the world a favor."

I hung up and turned to Damon.

Me "happy?"

He shook his head.

Me" You could have prevented this. All you had to do was take Stefan's scar and put your brother first, for once in your miserable life."

Damon " Hey! I'm trying to make it right, which is why we have to find Rayna and get Stefan's soul back in his body."

Me"The Stone is destroyed, Damon. And Stefan with it."

Damon shook his head "We don't know that."

Me " Yes, we do, if we have logic, and a sense of reason, and a brain."

Damon " I see it differently, okay? If Stefan's dead, then I'm responsible. Which means I'm going to spend the rest of eternity haunted and doing penance and seeing my own self-loathing reflected in everyone else's actual loathing. And, I'm not ready for any of those things-- ergo, he's not dead. Try it my way. It's less depressing."

I shook my head irritated "you've lost it"

Damon tried to grab my wrist but i pulled back and snapped "don't touch me"

He saw the ring on my finger "He asked you"

I looked at the ring.