2.109 Damon

A month later. Lockwood mansion. 

Matt, Stef, Caroline and i were gathered around Damon's body which had the Pheonix Stone resting on his chest

Matt, Stef, Caroline and i were gathered around Damon's body which had the Pheonix Stone resting on his chest. Bonnie was trying her luck again. 

Bonnie "Ababbas dagoineh mateesah elunatan. Damon melunaweh washaset. Ababbas dagoineh mateesah elunatan. Damon melunaweh washaset..."

Bonnie stopped and opened her eyes again. She sighed frustrated when she realized Damon didn't woke up. 

Bonnie " The spell's not working"

I sighed and plopped down on the sofa. 

Stefan sighed frustrated.

Bonnie " I don't understand. It's like the stone is hiding his spirit."

Matt "Then maybe you should take a break, all right? You've been trying all day."

Stefan shook his head "She can't. The longer he stays in there, the more damaged he'll be when he gets out."

Bonnie gave Stefan an annoyed look and scoffed "And who's fault is that? You, of all people, don't get to lecture me."

Caroline rubbed her big belly "Hey, hey. It's okay. We're all just a little bit stressed right now. Let's take a deep breath, and we can start again when Bonnie's ready."

Matt breathed out frustrated " I don't get it. We pulled Stefan and Adelaide out with no problem. What's different now?"

Stefan and i looked at each other. 

He then answered Matt when i looked down " Because he's not ready yet. When I was in there, I could barely remember who I was, and then I was hit with visions and tests. But the worst part of hell isn't what you're going through-- it's the sliver of hope that you can actually get out on your own."

Caroline asked confused " How come we had no trouble reuniting your souls with your bodies?"

Stefan " Because eventually, we submitted to the kind of suffering that just breaks you."

Me "We did what the stone wanted from us. Knowing Damon, he'll do anything he can to avoid that kind of pain, which means we may never be able to get him out."

Their faces fell. 

Outside on the porch,

I was sitting on the porch steps. Bonnie was nose bleeding again and Matt ordered that she should take a few hours off. 

I heard the front door open and sighed. The person sat down next to me. I looked at the person. 

Caroline "It's been a month now since you came back. How are you feeling?"

I shrugged "like a ticking time bomb"