2.129 "It Doesn't Matter"

Now.On the road.

I felt my phone buzz. I took it out and looked at it. It was Caroline. 

Stefan gave me a quick glance "Who is it?"

Me "Caroline"

Stefan "Answer"

I answered "Care?"

 My eyes widened when i heard Rayna's voice.   

Rayna "No such luck. Just me. I took Caroline's work cell, which you kept calling the other day. Wanted to check in on you."

I put her on speaker. 

Stefan "Did you really call just to chat?"

Rayna "Don't hang up. There's still time for me to help you"

Stefan scoffed "Well, here's an idea-- why don't you stop chasing me?"

Rayna "You took my sword, genius. I need to get it back. If you didn't want to get chased, you should've stayed put at the news station."

Stefan "And let you kill my brother? Not likely."

Rayna "So you'd rather be first in line to go?"

Stefan " See, now I'm confused. I thought you were trying to give me a pass?"

Rayna " I was... In my own way. This is going to sound strange, but... you grew on me while I was trapped in the Armory. You were the only distraction from my routine. Every day, while they were taking my blood and using it for their "research," I'd close my eyes and watch you. I could see where you were, what you were doing...I saw you travel the world with Adelaide."

Stefan frowned " How would you know that?"

Rayna " I always know what my targets are up to. That mark on your chest? It's not just a scar, it's a... mystical connection. To me."

Stefan scoffed "That's gotta be the worst pickup line I've ever heard in my life."

I gave him a look. 

Rayna laughed " Don't flatter yourself!"

Stefan "You did just say you spent the last three years spying on me..."

Rayna " The Armory doesn't have TV. What else was I gonna do?"

Stefan " Well, this isn't creepy at all."

Rayna "The point is, I know exactly where you are and what you're doing now. You're leading me to the Armory. You're hoping they'll provide an assist. But Virginia's a long drive from here-- unless your car runs on something other than gas, you're not gonna make it there before I catch you."

Stefan looked alarmed as he checked the gas gauge on his car, which is currently at 1/8th of a tank. 

Rayna"I'm gaining on you. I can tell."

I rolled my eyes and hung up. 

Stefan looked around alarmed. 

I saw a large florist delivery van driving in the lane to our right "Stef-"

Stefan "mhm"

I grabbed the sword and opened the window. 

Stefan "What are you doing?"

I threw it out of the open passenger window, causing the blade of the sword to embed itself in the metal of the side of the van. The van turned right as Stefan screeched to a halt and does a U-turn so he could drive in the opposite direction.

Stefan chuckled "have i ever told you how much i love you "

I smiled at him "often, but i never get sick of hearing it"

He shook his head chuckling.

Gas station. 

Stefan parked the car, got out of the car and refilled the tank.

 I opened my door and he leaned against the backseat door of my side. 

Stefan "hey, angel, hand me my phone, please"

I gave it to him and called someone. 

Damon " Hello, KQ... something, something... My vision's gone blurry. Oh..."

Stefan "Hey."

Damon "How goes it, Mad Max?"

Stefan" Had to stop for gas."

Damon "I was expecting a much cooler answer, but..."

Stefan "Yeah, well, I didn't really have much of a choice. Ditched the sword to buy myself a little bit of time. I could really use a great idea for what to do next."

Damon "Sorry, little fuzzy. You know, toxin fever and all."

Stefan " Valerie's coming to fix that"

Damon asked surprised " So, you guys are hanging now, huh? What does Adelaide think of that?"

I rolled my eyes. 

Stefan "Since when do you care about what she thinks, hm?Listen, as much as I love catching up with you, I do have to resume escaping from a serial killer, so if you could..."

Damon " H-head back to the station. I'll find you a place to lead Rayna."

Stefan "That's your great idea?"

Damon "Uhh... I'll have the Armory come out and meet you. They still want Rayna. Just keep driving, Stefan. I'll be in touch, okay?"

Back on the road. 

We were driving again when my phone rang again. 

I sighed and answered. 

Rayna " You owe some guy a cube truck."

Stefan "Do you talk this much to all your targets?"

Rayna "Just the ones I'm trying to help. You need all the help you can get, since your brother's not exactly reliable. I know that's what you've been thinking."

Stefan "You don't know anything about me."

Rayna " Mystical connection, remember? Anyway, I don't blame you for doubting Damon. You always knew having him in your orbit might get you killed someday."

Stefan "I thought getting me killed was your department."

Rayna sighed"I'm plagued with a responsibility. That doesn't mean I like it. I actually think you're an okay person, despite what Matt thinks. That guy really hates you."

Stefan "Yeah, I'm starting to figure that out."

Rayna "He wouldn't let me out of my cell until I promised to put you back in the hell stone. Ouch. Want to talk about it?"

Stefan shook his head " Nope. Gotta save my battery."

He hung up and i looked at him confused.

Me "What was she talking about?"

Stefan shook his head "doesn't matter"

I looked at him worried.

Stefan gave me a quick glance and took my hand in his "I'm serious, angel, it doesn't matter"