1 - Habits

In which smoking become Lisa's habit

***

"That's the fifth stick for today. Stop smoking" Jennie complaining while covering her nose from the smoke.

Lisa just laughs and didn't bother what Jennie said. It wasn't the first time that Jennie tried to stop Lisa from smoking.

Since her parents died from an accident Lisa started smoking to divert herself from grieving and loneliness. And Jennie, her longtime friend always watches her and trying to stops her habit. But it never works.

"I'm serious Lisa, you need to take care of yourself. You really are a hard-headed, huh?" Jennie was pissed and grabs the stick of cigarette in her mouth and throws it on the ground. "Please  stop smoking from now on"

Lisa nods but she never listen and the next days Jennie still saw how Lisa finishing a box of cigarettes per day.  Jennie becomes really worried because of Lisa's bad habit. 

Jennie always watches Lisa, even if Lisa always smiles around and shows how though she is, she knows how empty her heart is.  She wants to take Lisa's loneliness away.  She wants to fill her heart with happiness. 

*

Jennie saw how Lisa cough hard on Sunday morning when she visits her home. 

"You don't need to be worried nini, I'm fine.  It's just a simple cough" Lisa assures Jennie who worriedly looking at her.

Jennie sobbed when Lisa lighting up another stick of cigarette. Lisa froze in her position when she saw how Jennie wipes her tears away.  She hurriedly approaches Jennie. 

"Please, Lisa,  If begging is the only way to stop you from smoking then I'll do it" Jennie starts begging on her knees. Lisa pulled Jennie to stand up. 

"I'm here Lisa, I'm still here. Don't think that you're all alone now,  you still have me.  And I promise I won't  leave you"

Jennie stands up and saw teary-eyed Lisa.  She hugged her tightly and Lisa embraces her back.  Jennie smelled the sweet perfume of Lisa nape. 

"Let me fill your emptiness, Lisa.  Let me take away all your worries and loneliness"

*

Lisa did what Jennie wants,  she stopped herself from smoking.  It was hard for her since it became her habit.  To stop herself from smoking she chew a gum every time she thinks she needs to smoke. 

Jennie smiled as she saw Lisa on their usual spot in a coffee shop and not having a stick of cigarette in her mouth.  It was a good view for Jennie. 

But her smile fades away when Lisa started to cough hard.  It's been two weeks since her cough starts and now it's getting worst.

"Have you seen your  doctor?" Jennie worriedly asked Lisa. The other girl shakes her head. 

*

After some lab check and checkups, the result finally came.  Lisa and Jennie sit next to each other nervously. Lisa fidgeting her feet while waiting for her doctor to announce her disease.

"Miss Manoban,  I don't know how to deliver this news to you.  But as the resulting state,  it was a lung cancer, a severe one..."

Lisa was not shocked by the news she expected something bad.  But still, her world crashes when she heard the news.  Her mind was filled with lonely thoughts and didn't hear what her doctor is saying anymore. 

"This can't be happening, she stopped smoking" Her thoughts vanished when she heard Jennie complaining to the doctor about her disease.

Lisa holds Jennie's hand and squeezed it.  Assuring the girl that everything will be okay.  She will be okay.