paper hearts and passenger seats

[Not my story]
Ao3 kyrifics

On the last day of school term, just before university let out for spring break, Yoongi faced the biggest crisis of his life yet.

"You're what?" he stuttered, heart ramming against his chest.

"I'm moving away," Jaehyun said casually, training his eyes elsewhere so that he wouldn't have to meet Yoongi's alarmed gaze. He leaned back against his seat and draped an arm over it. The painfully perfect picture of nonchalance. "You know what that means."

"No, no I don't," Yoongi answered vehemently. He leaned forward and grabbed Jaehyun's hand. "Babe, we're halfway through college already. How could you just suddenly drop your studies?"

Jaehyun sighed and slipped his hand out of Yoongi's grasp to run them through his bleached blond tousled hair. "Yoongi. You know how much I love the band, and you know how long we've been dreaming of this. This could be our big break."

"I know that, but you can't expect me to support-"

"You're a musician. You know this is my dream," Jaehyun lamented, his face sculpted into a mask of hurt and disappointment. "You should understand this better than anyone. I can't believe this."

Yoongi parted his mouth for a comeback, but closed them again. Jaehyun was right. This was the dream he'd been chasing after even since before the two of them first met. And now, this was also the dream that would drive them apart. "Fine. So what're we going to do?"

His boyfriend shrugged. "Nothing."

"What do you mean by that?" Yoongi feigned ignorance, although he already knew the answer. He was just waiting to hear it straight out of Jaehyun's mouth.

The jazzy saxophone music trickling from the café's overhead speakers suddenly sounded too much of a din for his ears to bear - it sounded too happy, too inappropriately jolly for a tragic epilogue such as this.

"Yoongi, babe," Jaehyun drawled his name slowly like it was the last time he would ever say it. "You know I care about you, right? But I can't lie to you and say that a long-distance relationship between us would survive. You know it won't. We'll only hurt each other if we drag it out."

So casually cruel in the name of being honest. Yoongi swallowed thickly, his pulse pounding in his ears. He felt like puking, so he didn't trust himself to utter a single word.

"I'm sorry," Jaehyun picked up his guitar case and slung the strap over his shoulder. "It's over."

Hours after his ex-boyfriend's departure, as Yoongi sat alone in the freezing café, wallowing in his own tide of denial and self-pity, he realized that despite everything Jaehyun had told him today, he never once said I love you.

-

Heartbreak is a tumultuous vortex of anguish that only pulls you

down,

down,

down...

...and keeps you caged there, like a tortured slave. It's merciless, and you feel as though somebody's pummeling holes into your bruised heart with every waking moment. Heartbreak is the kind of empty coldness that no amount of thick blankets could shield you from.

In the weeks following his disastrous breakup, Yoongi spent his free time trapped in the haze of his mind, coming up with valid and valid-er reasons as to why Jaehyun left - of course he didn't purposely want to leave him, right? - and trudging through his daily routine like a mindless zombie. There was a sick feeling roiling deep in the pit of his stomach, telling him that he would never again find somebody as breathtakingly gorgeous and talented as Cha Jaehyun.