eat the watermelon

[Not my story]
Ao3 ymlv

“namjoonah -” yoongi said, voice flat, but when namjoon turns around with a yes, hyung?, yoongi was looking down as a blushing mess, his cheeks puffed up. namjoon shivered alnost comically.

“yes - hyung?” he repeated hesitantly as yoongi forced his red face up and opens his mouth, only to brush redder and close it back, cheek puffing more. namjoon stared awkwardly, waiting for yoongi to say something. the elder shook his head sightly and opened his mouth again, but decides against it.

yoongi eventually mutters sulkenly, “nevermind,” and namjoon didn't know whether to push it or not, because you know, some people like if you keep asking and you must keep asking or some people will just be annoyed. yoongi is both, and confusing as fuck. namjoon didn't know which one he prefers now.

namjoon chose the first option. “are - are you sure? you can talk to me if you want, hyung, its probably not even as embarassing as you think it is,” namjoon says, “you can tell me, anything.”

damn namjoon and his smart and healthy brain. yoongi took a long, deep, breath, containing lots of air and hopefully courage. “okay so.”

namjoon lowers his head intently, to listen to whatever his hyung had to say. yoongi's red to his neck.

“so. lets. lets say this.”

namjoon nods his head to encourage him to keep going.

“i. i want something — i don't usually want.” at this point, yoongi's purple. “what do i do?”

uh. “well that's not much of an explanation. .” namjoon scratched his neck. “an example. .?”

yoongi fidgeted with the hem of his sleeves, sighing dramatically as if namjoon's dumb not to understand. “i. usually don't like — watermelons. but i want a watermelon now. what do i do?”

namjoon just doesn't know at this point. “you eat the watermelon.” its a watermelon. what harm can it cause?

yoongi looks at him expectantly; namjoon sees hope in his eyes, a little. what was yoongi thinking? “really?”

namjoon hesitated. “really.”

the elder averted his eyes back to the piano sheets on the table, and says “okay,” so softly it makes namjoon melt despite the younger's confusion.

namjoon really hopes he didn't say anything wrong or spur yoongi on to do something bad — he worries. sometimes advices like this lead to completely different decisions that is very, very bad, but namjoon hopes that those exist only in cartoons.

five minutes later in his room, namjoon realizes that the thing yoongi's been asking for is about love. or of some sort; maybe he likes someone. maybe he's starting to like someone he didn't see in that way before. yeah. maybe thats it. maybe he's given yoongi the courage to ask that someone out. great for him. namjoon gave himself a pat. good job, namjoon.

.

eat the watermelon. okay. yoongi can do that. (yoongi can't hahaha.)

“hyung,” the watermelon calls, hanging upside down with his legs on the couch's back, “hyung i'm bored.”

the watermelon is annoying. the watermelon keeps bugging him and annoying him and making him smile. yoongi dislikes the fact that he can't deny the watermelon's request. yoongi hates the watermelon. yoongi hates that he doesn't hate the watermelon.

“hyung,” the watermelon calls again, “do you have a map?”

yoongi spins his chair around to face the blonde boy. “a map?”

“mhm,” he hums, “because i'm lost in your eyes.”

the watermelon wants him dead. the reaction yoongi tries to pull is the scrunching of eyebrows and a scowl, but yoongi fails and he smiles and the watermelon smiles as well seeing yoongi smile. fuck the watermelon.

“what watermelon?”

yoongi blushes wildly. he says nothing. the watermelon named park jimin tilts his head cutely. yoongi spins around back to face his table with a, “die, park jimin,” muttered, and said boy scowls a “hey!” which again makes yoongi smile like wtf why. why did you smile.

“hyung i'm really bored.”

“i'm working, jiminie. this song is for you, for bangtan, you know? i'm doing this hard work for you,”

jimin pouts. “i didn't ask you to,”

a moment of silence. jimin flips upside down on a couch a couple of times. “hyuuuunggg,”

yoongi puts his pencil down with a little force and stood up suddenly, and jimin fears he might have angered his hyung and went to stutter an apology, but yoongi plops down beside him on the couch and looks at him expectantly.

jimin smiles with his teeth.

yoongi was having an inner battle. his cheeks were puffed up unconsciously and he's biting his lip. jimin's chattering about something and yoongi wants. to eat the watermelon.

okay. the watermelon is jimin. jimin is an annoying, sweet watermelon he's been wanting to eat up. because he's cute and yoongi's been wanting to hug. or touch, jimin, lately, he doesn't even know why. he just. wants to hug him. and yoongi's not a touchy person, hes not. so why does he really want to touch jimin?

EAT THE WATERMELON, he says loudly in his head to try to give him more confidence.

so yoongi's sweating. jimin's still chattering. and yoongi's whole body stutters. he's so close — so yoongi lowers his body to a tilt. slow. shuddering. awkward.

and his head touches jimin's shoulder.

jimin's fast chattering falters a little — yoongi's head isn't leaning, still, its just touching jimin's shoulder — yoongi frozen and red and awkward and sweating. but jimin continues chattering, his hands which were moving animatedly now reaching to yoongi's head and pushing it to his shoulder (not gently, i described push) and yoongi's dumbfounded and just. there.

jimin continues his chatter. yoongi pouts, but he listens.

up to five minutes of i absolutely destroyed taehyung in that stupid overwatch game, yoongi removed his head fron jimin's shoulder and moves his body upper on the couch, hands snaking behind jimin's back and hugging his waist.

jimin stops this time, confused, a little pink. yoongi's head tilts a little, looking at jimin's eyes and cute little nose; “keep talking.”

“a- ah. um.” jimin stutters. “okay so —” and continued his rambling. his back relaxes into yoongi's hold and eventually, yoongi falls asleep despite jimin's pitched, excited, neverending story.

he wakes up cuddling a blonde haired boy named park jimin, and he doesn't mind.

.

namjoon lays wake that night, thinking of what yoongi might mean. he's curious, curious.

when yoongi and jimin emerges from yoongi's room together and yoongi eats breakfast with his hand tracing circles on jimin's back, namjoon thought nothing of it.

until he does.

he chokes on his cereal and this is the story of how kim namjoon died.

(of cuteness! he's totally happy for his friends despite the news nearly sending him to the morge at such a young age)