me, the spirit, and the curse

[Not my story]
Ao3 clevernamehere

Hi there. My name is Jimin. Park Jimin. I’m 20 years old and a dance major in the Korean National University of Arts. Dancing is my life. I’ve been doing it ever since I can remember and I’m not planning on stopping soon. Apart from dancing, I like to sing sometimes though, despite my friends going absolutely crazy when I do, I don’t really think my voice is anything that special.

I live a relatively normal life. My best friend Taehyung and I used to share an apartment close to uni, but he moved in with his boyfriend Jungkook last year, so to be able to afford an apartment on my own I work at a café nearby. Seoul isn’t a cheap city to live in.

So yeah, my life is pretty normal. Oh except for the fact that my family is cursed.

I don’t really know the details but as far as I’ve been told one of my ancestors made a deal with an evil spirit or something some centuries ago and didn’t honor his part of the deal, so the spirit killed him and cursed his bloodline.

The spirit would follow the firstborns of the bloodline for their whole lives and take things from them, like some memories, until the original debt was paid. Sometimes the spirit didn’t like the person he was attached to so as soon as the next firstborn came around, a “terrible tragedy” would find the previous one.

That’s what happened to my dad.

The spirit has been attached to me ever since I was a baby but the first time I had an encounter with it was when I was 5. My mum had gone to the store to get me ice-cream, when the lights in the house turned off. The room grew cold and the screen of the closed TV started fogging. I leaned closer and I could see letters starting to form on the cold surface.

YOU’RE THE NEXT

I felt chills down my spine and I was so scared. At the beginning at least. The first couple of months I would wake up to a cold room, or writings on my walls which creeped me out, but I eventually got used to them.

One day when my mum wasn’t home I decided to try and talk to the spirit. As always at midnight the lights went off and the room grew cold and my small body shivered under the blanket.

“Can you not do that please? I’m really cold” I decided to try and talk to it to see if anything would happen but nothing changed. Then I remembered all the times the spirit contacted me and I got an idea. I sat up and walked to the bathroom where the large mirror was. I brought my little hand up and started writing.

I’m cold

Almost immediately the temperature in the room went back to normal and I threw the blanket off my shoulders as I clapped excitedly. I turned my attention back to the mirror, which was somehow still fogged.

Thank you. What’s your name?

Some time passed before the well-known letters appeared under my own sloppy ones.

YURYEONG

Your name is Ghost? I don’t like it

I DON’T CARE

I’ll call you something else

NO

I’ll call you Yoongi! You’re a ghost so you must be white and glowing

I’M NOT A GHOST I’M A SPIRIT

Why are you so mean? You scared me a lot at the beginning

I’M HERE TO HUNT YOU LITTLE BOY NOT TO MAKE FRIENDS WITH YOU

What do you mean hunt me?