superhero-ish

Not my story
Ao3 Samoa (simsimsamoa)

The population of Seoul, South Korea is a little over ten million. Yoongi knows this because he looked it up after his eighth time rescuing Jimin, just to double check that there were, in fact, other people living in the city who could become endangered.  Yoongi was starting to lose count of the number of times he’d stumbled across Jimin in some form of danger. It’s not even that Yoongi was following Jimin around like some creeper trying to keep him safe in some twisted stalkerish way. It just happened that Jimin always seemed to be in some potentially life-threatening situation whenever Yoongi so much as went to the grocery store.

Like, for instance, now.

It’d been a long day and all Yoongi really wanted was to go home, crawl into his bed, and sink so deep into his mattress that no one would be able to find him and tell him that he put one too many scoops of ice in their triple, venti, half-sweet, non-fat, iced macchiato. Of course, his apartment, with its bed and pillows and distinct lack of people, was still a twenty-minute walk away. To add on to his misery, because the world hated him, Yoongi received the privilege of freezing rain his entire walk home because he’s an idiot who overslept that morning and woke up with just enough time to make it to work, but apparently not enough time to check the weather and realize an umbrella would definitely be needed today.

So there he was, cold, wet, and downright miserable walking the quiet streets of Seoul late at night when he passed an alley and promptly froze upon hearing an angry shout and a following small whimper. Keeping to the shadows, Yoongi sidestepped into the alley, taking note of the tall man, dressed all in black and pointing a gun towards someone crouched on the ground. All it took was a flash of orange hair for Yoongi to realize who it was the guy was so aggressively waving his gun at.

“Are you fucking stupid?” The guy’s voice was almost taunting as he shoved the gun a little closer. “I said everything you’ve got. You must think I’m a fucking idiot if you expect me to believe that all you carry around is ₩5,000.” The guy threw the wallet in a puddle and Yoongi saw Jimin wince from where he was crouched on the ground.

“Please, I swear it’s all I’ve got. I wasn’t planning on going anywhere or buying anything, so I didn’t bring any money.” Jimin was shaking as he spoke, his small frame tucked into an even smaller ball as he curled away from the mugger as much as physically possible while still keeping the gun within his line of sight. Yoongi could see the terror shining in his eyes through the tears and decided he’d seen enough. Putting on his face mask from his pocket and pushing his hood up further over his head Yoongi took several strides into the alley, eyeing the gun and raising his arm from his side. With a slight tug of his arm the mugger’s gun went flying from his grasp, levitating several feet above him where he couldn’t reach it.

“What the fuck!?” The mugger finally noticed Yoongi’s darkly silhouetted figure steadily approaching and turned towards him just as Yoongi shoved his other arm in his direction, prompting a line of trash cans and crates resting on the side to barrel into him with a loud crash and a subsequent shriek from the mugger. The man struggled under the weight of the pile, throwing out curse words while also blindly shoving at crates that continued to crash into him. If Yoongi hadn’t been so tired he might’ve found the guy’s struggling a little funny, seeing how he was currently doing battle with a group of bottles that had floated out of the trash cans. As it was, Yoongi was already tired and the use of his powers only served to drain him more. With a twitch of his fingers a well-aimed crate banged into the back of the mugger’s head, sent him sprawling to the floor and into unconsciousness.

Once Yoongi was sure the would-be mugger was out of commission and would be staying that way until the police found him, he turned towards the small body tucked into the wall. As he took a few steps closer and scooped the wallet out of the puddle it had been thrown into, he watched as Jimin’s body slowly relaxed and a small smile appeared on his face.