chamomile

[Not my story]

“You must dream, Chim, everyone dreams,” his best friend insists. “You just have trouble remembering them.”

“Maybe,” Jimin relents, but he doesn’t know why Taehyung cares so much. He accepted the fact that he has no soulmate a long time ago. It’s fine—he has good friends, a decent job, a comfortable home. A soulmate isn’t a necessity to a good life. And so many people waste so much of their lifetime trying to find their soulmate—there are billions of people on the planet, and people are willing to travel far, or spend countless hours online, just to find that one familiar face they dream about. Jimin had the luxury of not worrying over it.

It’s like any other weekend when Jimin meets him. Taehyung told Jimin about a new tea shop that opened downtown, so the two go to check it out. They barely walk into the store’s front before the guy working at the counter meets Jimin’s eyes, gaping at him for a second before a huge smile overcomes his face, and Jimin is…confused. Suddenly the guy is walking around the counter, hurrying over to him.

“It’s you! Oh my god, it’s really you,” he says, his voice warm and filled with joy as he wraps his arms around Jimin in a hug. “I never thought I’d find you, certainly not like this.”

Jimin is still too confused to hug this stranger back, and when blonde pulls back, he scrunches up his face (and okay, Jimin admits, this guy is cute, whatever).

“Don’t you recognize me?” the guy says, a nervous laugh escaping his lips.

Find him? Recognize the guy? …Oh. Well, this has never happened before. Jimin’s cheeks flush as he delicately grabs the guy’s arms, bringing them off his shoulders.

“Oh, I—I think you’re mistaken,” Jimin says softly, only for the guy to tilt his head in further confusion (damn, did he have to be so cute?). “I, umm, well I don’t have dreams. So, you see, I’m pretty sure I don’t have a soulmate. I must just look similar to yours. S-sorry.”

Jimin expects him to look disappointed, maybe even a little devastated. But instead, the guy decidedly shakes his head and holds Jimin’s hands in his own.

“No, it’s you. I—I know what my soulmate looks like, and it’s not similar to you. It is you.”

Jimin feels his cheeks flush further, and he’s not sure whether it’s over the stranger’s words, his intense, attentive gaze, or the way Jimin’s hands feel so small in the other’s. But none of this matter. This poor guy’s confused, Jimin doesn’t have a soulmate. He shakes his head again, but Tae speaks up before he can. And of course, he’s living for this, smiling like crazy.

“See, Jimin? I told you, you must dream! He never remembers his dreams,” Taehyung says, the last part more to the guy than Jimin.

“Tae, you’re not helping! I don’t dream, I—I don’t have a soulmate, this is…this is a mistake!” Jimin exclaims, feeling overwhelmed and frustrated and just—he never expected this to happen, why is this happening?

He pulls his hands out of the guy’s grip, stepping away from him and Taehyung, hiding his face in his hands.

Peeking out between his fingertips, he watches the guy glance between him and Taehyung before taking a small step towards him.

“J-Jimin? My name is Yoongi. Ah, look, I’m sorry for being too forward. It’s just…” the guy seems like he’s about to say something more, but then shakes his head and gives a small smile. “Actually, we don’t have to worry about it right now, okay? You and your friend came here for tea, why don’t you sit down and I’ll take your orders.”