Numinous

[Not my story]
Ao3 Abaddonia

It was a day like any other for the young prince, his leisure time spent by reading all the riveting encyclopedias of different kinds. Other than memorizing facts from the books and studying, there was nothing much to do in the palace so when he heard the feeble voice of his butler, asking Jimin to kindly come with him, he was beyond excited.

He knew it probably had something to do with being granted his own, personal knight that would stand by his side for the rest of his life. The rule was that knights always had to be older than the people they were protecting, but Jimin didn't mind. The thought of having a new addition to his life made him giddy with happiness, impatient to meet the chosen one.

They arrived at the main hall where the staircases leading to ballrooms met, magnificent carpets spread in wide threads on the surface underneath them. Jimin could see his father's knight, Namjoon, standing in the doorway of their kitchen, chatting away with Seokjin.

"Those two," he sighed, eyeing the slight tint of the medic's cheeks as Namjoon explained what his last fortnight's mission was about.

Only then did he notice the man standing by the knight's side, leaning against the wooden panels stuck to the wall, overlapping each other and adding a luxurious touch to the already sublime chamber.

Ivory black was the shade of the person's metal coverings on his body. The armour looked unnecessarily heavy in Jimin's opinion but he paid no mind to it and looked up to the stranger's face. Jimin startled when he locked eyes with the person who was presumably staring him down the whole time, and Jimin cast his gaze away the second it happened. They held each other's eye only for a heartbeat yet the prince could feel his cheeks coloring, funnily worried about being judged by that relentless, scrutinizing gaze of the man.

Suddenly, Seokjin looked over Namjoon's armour-bearing shoulder and noticed Jimin standing there. He pointed at him and muttered a few words to which the knight nodded and strolled over to the prince.

"Jimin-ah, good to see you again! How have you been?"

As Namjoon approached him, the stranger followed him, shuffling his feet lazily as he fingered the jewelled rings adorning his large hands. Jimin swallowed, clearing his throat before answering, "I've been very good, thank you for asking. Are you doing well? I haven't seen you in a while."

"Things have been going my way, so yes, one could say I'm very well. I'd like to introduce you to this man," Namjoon gestured in the direction of the all-black stranger. Jimin fought the urge to gawk at his shoes in lieu of meeting the guy's eyes, but years of good etiquette taught him that it would be impolite so he looked up as he offered his hand.

The man took Jimin's hand, and instead of kneeling down and grazing his lips over Jimin's knuckles like the prince was used to, he shook it almost violently and let go. Jimin was left staring at the stranger in disbelief, unhappily surprised by the behaviour which indicated the man's rejecting of Jimin's position as a prince.

He thought he heard Namjoon snort but he quickly covered it up by speaking again. "I think you know already what is this about. This person, Min Yoongi, is your knight."

Jimin didn't bother hiding his horrified expression, gasping when Namjoon finally introduced the man. "This person is supposed to be my protector? I refuse! Didn't you see how rude was he just now?"

A bark of laughter echoed in the spacious place, and it came from none other than the stranger - Yoongi. "I never knew the prince would be such a brat, Joon, couldn't you give this job to someone else?" Jimin felt a pang of shame in his stomach, offended by the, for him, foreign nickname.