sweet nothings

Not my story
Ao3 springrain21

  Valentine’s Day.

  One would expect Park Jimin to love the holiday, with his sweet smiles and little giggles and soft fluffiness, with the way he finds the good in everything and everyone, the way he coos over puppies and kittens and never forgets a friend’s birthday. With the general happiness that seems to exude from him and the way he latches onto people like a little koala demanding hugs, one might expect him to adore the thought of a day filled with romantic love, but he most certainly does not.

  Not that he has anything against the idea of Valentine’s Day, it’s just never worked out for him. Okay, so maybe that’s a lie. Maybe Valentine’s Day and everything about it annoys the fuck out of him. For one thing, Park Jimin has never even had a valentine. In all his twenty one years, never once has he spent the day with a significant other, being cute and sappy and all lovey-dovey like regular couples. He’s had his share of boyfriends, sure, they’ve just never lasted long enough to make it to Valentine’s Day. If fact, it seems as though Jimin is cursed to never make it to the holiday with his current significant other. It’s as if Cupid hates him and refuses to let the young man with pink (Pink! Cupid should appreciate that, the bastard) hair ever feel happiness on the day.

  The second thing is that Jimin’s crush of fourteen and a half months and counting, his co-worker at the bakery, Min Yoongi, is as oblivious as a brick when it comes to Jimin and his feelings. The black-haired boy who is two years his senior barely acknowledges him when they’re at work—granted, he doesn’t really acknowledge Jin or Taehyung or Hoseok either unless it’s to snap at Taehyung for trying to sneak one of Yoongi’s perfectly decorated cupcakes, but still.

  He wants nothing more than to confess to Yoongi that he likes (okay, maybe that he’s desperately in love with him) the older boy and ask him to be his Valentine, but Jimin is about as courageous as a mouse being faced down by a cat in the presence of Yoongi, turning into a stuttering, red-faced mess whenever he’s near. Plus, he’s pretty damn sure Yoongi has no feelings for Jimin whatsoever, and he has absolutely no desire to ruin whatever strange friendship they have by Jimin announcing he’s in love with him. No sir no ma’am not gonna happen.

  Jimin has to stop himself from wrinkling his nose as he pushes his way into the bakery for his morning shift that day, bell dinging overhead to announce his arrival, at the honestly atrocious Valentine’s decorations Jin had probably spent all night putting up. Pink and red streamers snake across the ceiling and all meet in the center to wrap around the little faux crystal chandelier, paper chains in the shape of hearts adorn the walls in pink and red rows, tissue paper hearts and little cupid cutouts dangle from the ceiling between the streamers, waving wildly at the burst of air that hits them when Jimin unlocks the door to let himself in. Vases of red roses adorn the front counter and sit in the windows sills, and the fragrant scent of them mixes in when the smell of something sweet baking from the kitchen.

  Jimin grabs his apron from a hook behind the counter and grits his teeth when he sees a big pink heart pinned to the front behind his nametag. Fucking Kim Seokjin. With an annoyed sigh, he slips it over his head and begins tying it behind his back just as the bastard in question comes out of the kitchen, carrying a stack of white cake boxes with the bakery’s swirly pink “Sweet Nothings” labeled on the sides.

  “Jimin, you’re here,” Jin smiles happily at him when he spots the younger. “What do you think about the decorations?” He asks in excitement, and Jimin forces a tight smile onto his face.

  “They look really good, hyung,” he says, giving Jin a thumbs up, who grins in satisfaction while adjusting the boxes in his arms.

  “I have some cakes to deliver before ten, so it’ll be just you and Yoongi until Taehyung gets here in a half hour,” Jin tells him, glancing at his wrist watch while Jimin slants a look over his shoulder where Yoongi is probably busy in the kitchen, feeling his stomach knot uncomfortably and his heart skitter.