8) Battle of the Bells

"Is he always this late?" Minato Sensei asked.

"I'm afraid so, Sensei." Rin said, giving an apologetic look to our Sensei. I let out a sharp sigh, as I looked down at the ground. I pinched the bridge of my nose before looking up again.

"Where is he?" I mumbled to myself, looking for my best friend, tapping my foot on the ground. We were supposed to meet at the training grounds for our first "mission", and the only person who hasn't shown up yet is Obito.

"You act surprised (Y/N); he's never been on time for anything." Kakashi said slightly annoyed.

"He'll be here soon! I know he w-"

"I'M HERE!! I'M HERE!!" Obito yelled, as he ran towards us, thrashing his arms in the air, panting heavily.

"Where were you?!" Rin asked him worriedly. He bent himself over, with his hands on his knees, trying to catch his breath.

"I-I'm sorry I'm late you guys! This old lady needed help carrying her bags across the street, so I had to stop and help her!" He said, making Kakashi roll his eyes.

"You didn't have to stop and do anything!" Kakashi said annoyed.

"It's fine to help people! Obito-" Kakashi cut me off.

"It's not fine, when you make the rest of us late on a mission! (Y/N) you need to stop being so easy on him! He'll never learn! If this was anything more than just a D-ranked mission, he would have jeopardized it all! The enemy could have killed us easily, due to his unpunctual behavior." Kakashi said, scolding the Uchiha, making him cross his arms.

"That's enough Kakashi. I'm sure Obito won't be late again. Besides, this isn't a mission from the Hokage. This is an important task, that I personally want you guys to try and successfully complete." Minato Sensei said, as he pulled something out of his pocket. He held up three bells, before giving a closed eye smile.

"What do you mean by try, Sensei?" I asked

"Yeah! And uh- what's with the three bells?" Obito asked, scratching his head in confusion.

"You guys just take these three bells from me, and practice is over. Simple right?" He asked, while tying them to his pants.

"That's it?" Kakashi asked, before letting out a scoff. "You underestimate me Sensei. You might as well just hand one of the bells over to me." Kakashi said as Minato Sensei raised an eyebrow.

"Is that so? And why is that Kakashi?" He asked.

"Because I can easily catch all of those bells." He stated.

"And what? You don't think we can?" I asked him crossing my arms.

"As a matter of fact, I don't." He copped back making me growl.

"Keep talking Kakahead, and I'll make sure you don't catch any of them." I said through gritted teeth. He rolled his eyes.

"I'd like to see you t-"

"(Y/N)! Kakashi! Enough you two!" Minato scolded.
"(Y/N) your goal is to try to catch a bell, not stop someone else from doing so. And Kakashi, a quick lesson you'll learn very quickly in today's task, is to never underestimate your opponents." Minato Sensei said, as Kakashi and I glared at each other. That was until I realized something.

"Wait! Sensei! If we each have to try to get a bell, then why is there only three of them?" I asked, as he smiled at me.

"There are only three bells because only three of you might be able to win." He said nonchalantly.
"The goal is to get a bell. It doesn't matter how you do it, just do it. This exercise is to see your strategy techniques as well as your combat performances. If I get you in a position where in real life you would have been killed, you are out. And make no mistake; I will not go easy on you. If you don't come at me with the intent to kill, I can promise you'll never catch a bell." He said as we nodded.
"As soon as I say start, you kids hide to plan your strategy. I will give you five minutes before I start my attack. This is unless, one of you attacks first. Got it?" He asked.