47) Four Months

They say throughout life you learn many lessons. For some people it's don't touch the fire or you could get burned. For others it could be just the simplicity and complications to good and evil.

In the years of being a shinobi, I've learned that every action has an opposite reaction, and usually that's never been a good sign for me. From a young age, I always tried to do the right thing, which resulted in losing a countless amount of loved ones. When I tried to protect my friends, they always ended up dying. When I tried to protect my family, I ended up losing them one by one. And when I tried to be brave, I ended up just getting hurt. At times it does make wonder, what if I chose differently? What if I would have went with the masked man, or even Orochimaru? Would they all still be alive today? Was it my fault? Would I still be alive today? After a countless amount of failed efforts, and fighting internally with my own thoughts, I contemplated giving up on being good. There was a point that even I wanted to throw in the towel, and say fuck it, and decided that maybe I was just meant to be evil. But somewhere in my heart, even I couldn't imagine what that would be like. To kill someone mercilessly for no reason? Or to do something horrible to another for the sole purpose of personal entertainment. That's just not my style.

I've come to the conclusion that everything indeed does happen for a reason. Kakashi wouldn't be here if I didn't save him from the rocks those many years ago. If I would have given up on Kakashi after Rin's death, maybe he would be different. Maybe I would be different. There'd be so much knowledge lost, so many friendships that would vanish from existence. Hell, maybe I wouldn't be here today, and just another stone in the ground for Asuma and my father to visit.

I think a very valuable lesson that we all take for granted is, anything can happen within the blink of an eye, so it's best to cherish everything you have, because you never fully understand what you have until it's gone. And little did I know that the moment we brought Mayori Kazu to the Hidden Leaf Village, we would have set off a ticking time bomb of destruction that would combust approximately four months later.

Month one was nothing to worry about. Mayori was brought safely to the village, and the plans and information was given to Lord Third. We also informed him of the incident, and gave to the body of Ryo to the interrogation squad, to do research and potentially find information on Orochimaru. Mayori and Lord Third spent weeks planning and strategically organizing ideas and a book that would be detailed with Akatsuki member's information as we slowly learned about them. Mayori was subject to staying at the village for a few months, leaving me in charge of him. This led into a bunch of fun and games.

* * *

"So what's our new mission today (Y/N) Sensei?" Sakura asked me, as I smiled.

"Yeah! And why is he here?" Naruto asked grumpily, pointing at Mayori who smirked at him.

"I'm here to go with you guys on a mission, runt." He said, ruffling Naruto's hair, making him growl.

"I'm not a runt!!!" He spazzed out, making me giggle.

"Um (Y/N)? Where's Kakashi Sensei?" Sakura asked, as I smirked to myself.

"He's probably just... Running late." I said, as Mayori snorted.

"Gross." Sasuke mumbled to himself, as my face flushed.

"It's not like that." I said defensively, clearing my throat.

"Right... Okay Sensei." Sakura chimed in, making my face hotter. I cleared my throat.

"It's not like what?" Naruto asked innocently, not catching on to what the others were implying.

"Nothing Naruto, absolutely nothing." I said, as Sakura giggled, Mayori snickered, and Sasuke smirked.