Bucky Barnes X Reader - Wagon Wheel

A/N- I wrote this imagine the other day whilst I was sitting on a train on my commute to uni, so I'm sorry if some of the grammar/spelling is a bit off. It's based on the song Wagon Wheel by Darius Rucker (originally by Old Crow Medicine Show) which is one of those sweet country songs that I will forever love with all of my heart. I hope you enjoy it.

There is nothing in life more comforting than the embrace of the person you love. It's like a hot bath, and sweet tea, and smooth rich chocolate all rolled into one. Your person had always been Bucky, no doubt in your mind, from the moment you had met you had known that you would be together forever, and once you had said your vows and made it official you had been elated. Nothing compared to knowing how loved you were, and nothing came close to replicating falling asleep next to the man you married. None of Bucky's friends had believed you when you had told them how soppy he could be, no one except for Steve, and even then he was dubious as to some of the details. It was Bucky who would take your hand in his when you were walking beside each other, and it was him who would cuddle you into his chest when you were watching TV together. Sometimes, he would curl up with his head on your knee and ask you to run your fingers through his hair. It was then that you were happiest.

Steve had always been encouraging of Bucky's emotionally available side, especially where you were involved. He had noticed a positive change in his friend since you had been on the scene. He was less easily startled, relaxed to a point of pure tranquility at times, than he had been since his time with Hydra. And his nightmares had practically vanished since you had begun sharing his bed. You had only seen a few of the terrors yourself, but watching him writhe around, covered in sweat and twitching uncontrollably, had left you shaken. You had waken him, as softly as possible, and held his hand as he attempted to steady his breathing, but soon he was back to normal, pretending that it had never happened. You wanted to comfort him, make him feel safe, and most of the time your presence was enough, though you wished he would talk to you when his mind grew foggy.

Most mornings you would wake up to an empty bed. For you, 9am was an early morning, but for Bucky, he was already fully engaged in his day.

06:00 - Wake up. 06:30 - Go for a run. 07:30 - Break for breakfast. 08:00 - Gym session. 09:00 - Turn on the coffee maker and wait for your inevitable sleepy grumble about how tired you were.

He didn't mind your moaning, in fact, he thought it was rather sweet when you mumbled your complaints, and would make your coffee just how you liked it as he listened to you. He would only receive the first smile from you when he placed the mug in front of you, and in line with your usual routine you would stand on your tip-toes to give him a grateful kiss before taking your first sip. He loved that hour after you had first woken up; both of you just talking about literally anything that came to mind as you slowly but surely came fully alive. By the time 10am came around, you were both ready to go about your days, and you would trot off for a shower as he cleaned up the kitchen.

Your friends often teased him about how well trained he was, about how eager he was to please you. It was almost as though they were surprised that any man was willing to clean, and cook, and make his wife happy, let alone a man who lived in the 1940's. But Bucky was the perfect gentleman, and was happy to do his fair share of the housework. You did the laundry, and kept up to date on both of your taxes; he made your meals and did the washing up. It all balanced itself out.

When you had first introduced Bucky to your family they had been less than enthusiastic. Not only was he far older than you, but he was as far from a nice southern boy as you could have gotten. Your parents had expected you to marry local, to pop out a couple of kids, and to take over their B&B when they got too old to handle it. The perfect man would have been a mechanic, or he'd work with cattle, but never did they think a superhero would be coming to sit on their porch and drink tea. Your dad had puffed up, all big and red, and attempted to put his foot down, but your rather grown-up and calm response had caused him to deflate almost entirely. "Bucky and I are a team, I'm not gunna ditch him just because he isn't what you had in mind." It had left them both speechless as you gathered your handbag up and slung it over your shoulder, taking Bucky's hand in yours and leading him down the steps into the front garden. "Call me when you've settled down." You had been in the car for a few seconds before you glanced over at Bucky, who still hadn't started the engine.

"I don't want to cause trouble," he started softly, watching as you quirked an eyebrow at his words. "I wan't your parents to like me, but I don't want you to lose 'em," he explained, reaching over and giving your knee a tight squeeze.

You let out a small sigh, "you aren't the one causing trouble, baby," you told him, leaning forward and turning the key in the ignition. You hadn't even left the street when your phone buzzed in your lap, and you snorted slightly as your read the name on the display. "Hello?" you answered sweetly, the faux innocence like a sickly perfume that refused to fade. The car was silent for a moment as you listened to the phone. "Well, we'll be there in just a minute," you finally answered. "I knew they'd call," you uttered softly, holding back a snort of laughter when you glanced at Bucky's confused features, "we may as well turn back if they're so eager to apologise," you added, and a small smile spread across his lips as the realisation hit him.

After that your parents had come around to the idea of Bucky, and by the time he asked them for their permission to marry you, they had grown to love him entirely. He was old fashioned like that, and it only made you love him more, the deep romantic gestures and the sweet nothings caused you to blush like crazy, and made your heart beat twice as fast, but you wouldn't have had it any other way.

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. This money gives me the ability to continue writing in my spare time without having to worry about extra funds and will eventually help me to begin publishing my own works outside of my fanfiction. Follow the link: Ko-fi.com/S6S075KP to pledge money. The link is also available on my profile page and in the comments down below. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x