Natasha Romanoff X Reader - Look After You

A/N- This imagine is based on the song Look After You by Aron Wright, which you may recognise from a recent advert for Lloyds Bank (it's the one with all the horses.) It makes me cry a little bit whenever I listen to it, and it is very beautiful. I hope you all enjoy it.

You were staggering across the battlefield when Thanos arrived; your earpiece went wild with orders being yelled from all angles. For a moment, you considered allowing your tiredness to overcome you, considered sinking to your knees and crying. And then you heard her voice through the chaos, soft and welcoming, like a bed after a long day. "Y/N, we need you on Vision."

Like that your energy had returned, your legs moving as fast as they could to carry you to their position. "On my way." 

"Make it quick, we don't have long." You nodded, as though any of them could actually see you, and somehow, managed to pick up your speed as you headed into the tree line. 

Nothing could have prepared you for what you would see when you reached them. He was knocking them down like pins in a bowling alley, swiping through them with little effort. 

"Y/N?" Your eyes drifted to Nat, her brow furrowed, her hair a mess, and then she nodded in the direction of Thanos. "Give him all you've got," she finally added. 

You moved without a second thought, lifting your arms in the air and pushing your power through your hands. Perhaps, if you hadn't stopped to look at Nat, to see her face one more time, he wouldn't have seen you coming. 

As the first of your flames reached him, he had already swept at your leg with one of his oversized, purple hands, knocking you to the ground. You glanced up at his partially-charred face, seemingly undamaged other than a small black mark on one side. He moved, as though to continue with his onslaught, done with you now, but as soon as his back was turned your fire was on him again.  

He cried out in pain, the sudden wave of heat radiating around him and knocking him forward a few steps. When Thanos span, his hand grabbed at you, lifting you from the ground as it squeezed at your body, tightening his grip on you. 

"You will regret this." You spat it out, as though it were a bad taste in your mouth, and watched as he began to smile, drawing you closer to his face.

"No, little one. It is you who will be left with regrets."

You launched your hands forward, gripping onto the sides of his head with both of them, and digging in your nails. "I will make you regret me." As the words left your mouth the fire left your hands, scorching his skin wherever it could. He shuddered, his hand releasing your body, but you clung to him, climbing to rest on his shoulder as you considered your attack. 

He swiped at you again, knocking you from your perch and causing you to slide across the ground. You shifted, your body screeching in pain as you attempted to get to your feet. And then your earpiece came to life again, the same soothing voice calling for you. "Y/N, stay down."

*Time Skip*

You watched on in horror as Bucky dissolved before your eyes. Your mouth opened, hanging there as though any words you had once considered had burrowed back down your throat and into your chest, unable to make themselves heard. 

You could hear crying, coming through your earpiece, somewhere out of eyesight. But you knew already that it was Wanda, and you couldn't begin to fathom the pain she was going through. And then it came to your mind. You hadn't seen Nat for a while. 

A second later, you were on your feet, your head turning each and every way in search of your wife. One after the other, people you had known for years were turning to dust, drifting away on the wind.

"Y/N." The voice carrying your name cut through you, bringing you back to earth and drawing your eyes to her. Nat. Your lips trembled when you spotted her, crossing the battlefield to wrap her in your arms as quickly as you possibly could. You burrowed into her neck, taking a deep breath and relishing in her scent. 

"What's happening?" Your voice finally escaped you, broken and shaking, and you felt Nat's grip on you tighten.

She cleared her throat, "I don't know," she told you softly, pulling back to look you in the eyes, "but we'll figure it out."

You nodded, wiping away the tears that threatened to fall. "Yeah," you uttered, your voice catching in your throat. 

*Time Skip*

"Do you want anything to eat? I made dinner." Nat glanced up from the desk, smiling sweetly at you. 

She shifted slightly in her seat, "no," she uttered, patting her lap for you to come and join her. "I already ate."

You lifted an eyebrow at her, sitting where she had told you to and giving a short chuckle. "A Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich doesn't count as dinner."

"You know me way too well," she chuckled, allowing her arms to wrap around your waist. 

You smiled, taking the end of her plait in your fingers and fiddling with the loose hairs at the bottom. You hummed, "I know, It's like I'm telepathic or something." She leant forward, kissing your shoulder slightly. "You need to eat something. Anything other than a sandwich."

She sighed, "fine." You paused for a moment, smiling over at her and leaning in to press a kiss to her lips. "What'chya make?"

"Chilli. I thought it would be easier for everyone to help themselves since none of us eat together anymore." You got to your feet, taking her hand in yours and leading her out of the office and into the kitchen, where Steve stood over the pot of food on the stove. 

"Hey," you started, and he glanced over at the two of you with a smile.

He chuckled, "I should have known this would have been you," he told you, gesturing over the pot.

"What can I say? She's a keeper," Nat uttered. You chuckled, hip-bumping Steve out of the way and grabbing three bowls off of the counter. 

"You guys are too easily pleased," you told them, ladelling out the food into the bowls.

"Nah-" Nat started, settling herself at the kitchen island, "-we'd all go hungry if it weren't for you." 

You shrugged slightly, "It's my job to keep you alive, baby. Steve's just lucky that he gets the leftovers." 

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x