Bucky Barnes X Reader - Heaven Is A Place On Earth

A/N - This imagine is based on the song 'Heaven Is A Place On Earth' by Belinda Carlisle. I hope you all enjoy it.

You had never been as happy in yourself as you were when you were with Bucky. It was a simple statement, but one that made your friends faux-gag at the cuteness of it all. None of them had been able to see you guys as a viable couple when you had first met, but now they couldn't imagine you with anyone else. Bucky was your person. There was no denying it.

The way he made you feel had started as something small. He let you see just how pretty you were, how perfect you looked in his eyes, and though you always attempted to laugh off his comments, you knew deep down that you felt better about yourself with him in your life. It had radiated from little changes in your mood and had shifted into your day to day life, improving your confidence and allowing you to find your place in the world. God, even your colleagues had noticed how much better you were feeling now.

When you would get home from work, Bucky would always be waiting for you. He loved listening to you telling him about your day, huddled close together on the sofa whilst dinner was in the oven. It was comfortable and, more importantly, it helped you to rid yourself of the stress from work. 

"Anyway, enough about me," you uttered one evening, pulling his arm around your shoulders and smiling up at him. "How was your day?"

Bucky hummed slightly, leaning in to press a gentle kiss to your lips. "There is no such thing as enough you," he mumbled against you, pulling away with a sweet smile.

You quirked an eyebrow at him as he got to his feet, headed towards the kitchen. "You didn't answer my question," you told him, getting up and following him.

"You asked a question?"

A pout found it's way onto your lips as you hopped up onto the counter, watching as he started pulling plates out of the cupboard. "You know I did," you grumbled, drawing his eyes over to you for a moment as you nudged him with your feet. "How was your day?"

Bucky shrugged slightly as he turned back to the dinner. "It was fine," he uttered, forcing his metal hand into an oven mitt.

"Well, what made it 'fine'?" you pressed on as he pulled the dish from the oven, setting it onto a cooling rack. When he didn't move to answer, you felt a real frown pull at your lips, your brow furrowing into a tight line. "Come on, Buck. Talk to me."

"Steve called," he finally started, glancing over at you and shaking his head. "He's got a mission he needs my help on."

"Oh," you murmured, shifting slightly on the spot. "Well, why is that a bad thing?"

Bucky sighed, taking a few steps forward to stand between your legs, and wrapping his arms around your middle. "I'd be gone for a while," he started, leaning in to press his lips to your collar bone.

"How long?" you asked, causing him to glance up at you from his new position. You looked so concerned now, so utterly lost in the thought.

"Three months." 

You nodded slightly, searching your brain for the right words to say. "And you want to go?" you finally uttered, watching his lips twitch into a deeper frown than before.

"I can't just ditch Steve," he told you softly, and you nodded again, wrapping your legs around him and pulling him closer to you. You knew how uncomfortable he would be with leaving you to fend for yourself, he had been since the moment you had made your relationship official. But, you weren't about to let him guilt trip himself into staying home. "Baby," he uttered softly, his hands gripping at your thighs as he sighed.

"We'll make it work," you started again, leaning in to press a kiss to his forehead, and wrapping your arms around his neck. "We always make it work," you continued, as he shifted you closer to him, lifting you from the surface to hold you properly. 

"I don't want to leave you here," he murmured, shifting you higher for you to rest more comfortably in his arms. "You know that, don't you?"

You smiled against him, pulling back slightly to look at him. "Of course, I know that," you uttered, leaning in to press a gentle kiss to his lips. You stayed in your embrace for a few moments, breathing one another in, enjoying the closeness of it. And then, you released a light chuckle, smiling down at Bucky. "Dinner's going to be stone cold by the time we eat," you told him, holding back even more laughter when he hummed slightly.

"We can get takeout," he started, pulling you tighter against him and pressing a kiss to your jaw. "I'm not ready to put you down yet," he added, and you felt his lips turn up into a smile against your skin.

By the time you had ordered dinner to be delivered, it was already completely dark outside, and you'd already talked through the plans for whilst he was away. When you put it down on paper, three months didn't seem all that long. Besides, there was texting and phone calls, and if you were really missing him, you could even FaceTime. 

It had taken a while to convince Bucky that you would be fine living in your apartment alone, and you had ended up swearing that if you ever got uncomfortable you would get a friend to come and stay, rather than suffering in silence.

When the food finally arrived, you curled into Bucky's side, watching as he flicked through the TV channels, attempting to find something you would both enjoy. One thing was for certain, with Bucky away you would get a chance to catch up on all of the TV he didn't like. You hummed when he finally switched to an old sit-com you'd both watched through a thousand times. It was like heaven, sitting together like this, and you would miss it like crazy when he was off gallivanting with Steve. But, you were strong enough to get through it, in a way you maybe wouldn't have been before Bucky had come into your life.

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x