Natasha Romanoff X Fem!Reader - Fix The World Up For You: Requested

A/N - This chapter was requested by user: mMmHh_yUmMy_OrPhAns (a fun username to type.) I ended up basing it on the song 'Fix The World Up For You' by James Morrison, who is one of my favourite artists at the moment. I hope you all enjoy it.

Nat had always been the one protecting you from the world. In all honestly, she could be a little overprotective at times, and on occasion it had been a little annoying. She saw the bad in everyone and could be a bit paranoid when it came to other people's intentions, especially when it came to you. 

When you'd first started dating, your relationship had felt unbalanced. Nat could look after herself, she didn't need you like you needed her, and it had begun to bother you. 

And then, the blip had happened, and half of the earth's inhabitants had disappeared from the face of the planet. It was the first time you'd seen Nat vulnerable. Of course, she was open with you, but now it was something different. She had cried to you, gripping onto you as though you would be gone the second she let go, and it had broken your heart. 

It was on that day that you realised that you weren't the only one that needed protecting. Sure, Nat was brilliant at looking after your physical wellbeing, but you were far better when it came to psychological care. Whenever she needed someone to talk to, you were there. When she needed a shoulder to cry on, you were willing. When she felt stranded and alone in a terrifying new world, you had helped her see through the fear. 

When Nat was working, she threw herself into it at full force, and now that she had fewer colleagues to support her, she was working herself into an early grave. It was painful to watch, and each night you would creep your way down to her office, hovering in the doorway as she finished whatever she was doing.

"You just gonna stand there all night?"

You released a small, awkward laugh at that, watching as she lifted her head to give you half-hearted smile. "I was planning on luring you to bed," you murmured, moving further into the room and sitting opposite her at her desk. "You need to sleep," you added softly.

"You can go up; I won't be long," she had uttered, returning her attention to the screen in front of her.

"Don't lie to me." The words seemed to knock the playful atmosphere out of the room. "I'm not going to sit here and pretend that I believe that you intend on coming to bed tonight."

Nat pressed her eyes closed, taking a deep breath. "I'm sorry."

"I know." You paused for a moment, your tongue darting out to wet your lips. "And I also know that you need to sleep to be able to help people." 

Nat's eyes were wet with tears when she opened them again, and she began reaching for you like a child grabbing for their mother. You were on your feet in an instant, moving around the desk to wrap yourself around her, shielding her from the outside world. The little whimpers that escaped from her broke your heart, and you simply pulled her closer in an attempt to soothe her.

"It's okay, Angel," you murmured, craning your neck down to press a kiss to the top of her head. "We are going to fix this, but you need to let me take care of you."

Nat nodded slightly, her hands balling into your t-shirt to keep you close as she buried her face into your stomach, burrowing closer to you. It probably looked rather funny from the outside; the way she remained seated whilst you stood beside her, your embrace so intense that you couldn't bring yourself to find a more comfortable position. 

"I'm sorry," Nat uttered again, her voice broken and muffled against you. 

You pulled away slightly, crouching to take her face in your hands, and drawing her close enough that she could see only you. "You have nothing to be sorry for. We take care of each other, right?" Nat nodded slightly, her hand coming up to wipe the tears from her face. "Come on, let's get you to bed. You'll feel better in the morning." You pressed your lips to her forehead before moving away, heading for the door with her close behind you.

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x