Bucky Barnes X Reader - Beautiful People: Requested

A/N - This chapter was requested by user: kimbruuhly. I ended up relating it to the lyrics of the song 'Beautiful People' by Ed Sheeran and Khalid. I hope you all enjoy it.

"I don't want to go." The words were practically a whine as you slumped down onto Nat's bed, pressing your eyes closed as she continued to work on her makeup. You'd been to enough of Tony's parties to know that tonight would be loud, and busy, and altogether not your scene. But he was your friend, and he had insisted, so you had said a reluctant yes to attending. 

Wanda let out a chuckle, nudging you with her toes as you reopened your eyes to look at her. "We'll stick around for a couple of hours and then make a swift exit for wine and bad movies in my room," she told you, causing a real smile to appear on your lips. 

"You promise?" you uttered, holding out your hand to her, your pinky finger extended in her direction. Wanda quickly linked her finger with yours, letting out another soft laugh.

"Promise."

It was pretty common for you to come up with your escape plan before bothering to attend a party. You hated the crowds and the forced pleasantries, and you'd never been good at mingling with people you didn't know. 

"Anyway," Nat called out to you, eyes locking with yours in the mirror. "You might end up wanting to hang around."

You snorted slightly, shaking your head. "I won't," you murmured, watching as a smirk pulled at her red-painted lips.

"I'm not so sure. Steve told me that Tony asked Bucky to come this time." 

Well fuck. You knew that telling Nat and Wanda about your attraction to the newest addition to the team would end badly. You could already feel your cheeks heating up at your pulled your eyes away from Nat's. "Didn't know he was a big party guy."

"Steve says he used to be a real ladies man; always out dancing," Wanda corrected, attempting to keep the teasing smile off of her lips. 

You sent her a quick glare, remaining quiet as you glanced down at her phone. "Well, then I'm sure he'll have a great time; not that I know why that would have anything to do with me."

"Oh, come on, Y/N." The words practically burst out of Nat as she span in her seat to look at you properly. "Get a couple of drinks in you and just go talk to him," she added, sending you one of her sweetest smiles. 

"Yeah." Wanda was quick to agree, leaving you to roll your eyes. "If he turns you down tonight, you'll know he's either blind or idiotic because you've literally never looked hotter," she added, causing a small laugh to escape you. 

You shook your head, glancing over at the clock on Nat's wall. "We should get going. Tony hates it when we turn up late," you uttered, quickly shoving your phone into your bag and moving towards the door before either of them could continue with their newest obsession.

*Time Skip*

You had been right about the party being too loud, and about the people being tedious. It seemed, to you at least, to be a bunch of vapid celebrities, a couple of your friends, and you. As if Tony had delved into your brain and created your nightmare right there in front of you. 

At some point, early on in the night, Nat had been drawn into a conversation with some S.H.I.E.L.D people she had worked with. And then, a little while later, Wanda had gone off to find Vision, leaving you hovering awkwardly at the edge of the room. 

"Can I just say that you are the most beautiful woman in this room?" At first, you had assumed the words were meant for someone else. A shitty pick up line thrown out for one of the 'insta-famous' girls moving around the room. And then you'd felt the hand on your elbow, drawing your attention over to the man beside you.

"Oh," you uttered softly, forcing a half-assed smile onto your lips. "Thanks."

"I'm Jake," he started again, his hand still hovering on your bare arm. "I work at S.H.I.E.L.D."

You nodded slightly, your eyes returning to the dancing people. You had hoped that the guy would get the hint, but your silence only seemed to make him more determined to make an impression on you.

"How do you know Tony?" he continued, seemingly incapable of noticing the way you rolled your eyes.

"We work together."

"Oh," he started a wide smile on his lips. "Are you his assistant?"

You were quick to look at him that time, brows raised in his direction. "No." He looked a little startled by the humourless look you were giving him, backing down slightly. "We work together in the field," you added, jaw tight as you turned away from him again.

"No way." God. You wanted to punch this guy right in his dumb face. "Are you one of those-" he lifted his hands, waving his hands to mimic powers, "-superhero people?" 

You released a deep sigh, pressing your eyes closed.

"Y/N." Your eyes shot open as you heard the voice, a new hand coming to rest on your shoulder. "I didn't know you were coming tonight."

All of the anger and frustration was gone from your body the moment you set eyes on Bucky, your breathing coming a lot more evenly now that you weren't stuck in conversation with Jake. "I wasn't planning on it but the girls twisted my arm." You paused for a moment, simply looking at him with a dumb smile on your face. "I need a drink. Do you mind coming to the bar with me?"

Bucky nodded and you made a quick beeline away from Jake, disappearing into the crowd around the bar. "That guy looked like he was a real delight to talk to," he started, causing you to release an awkward chuckle. "I wasn't sure whether you looked more ready to kill him or yourself."

"The plan was to take him out first and then kill myself afterwards. Seems like as good a way to get out of this dumb party than any." 

You smiled when Bucky let out a real laugh, his hand coming to rest on the small of your back as he moved you closer to the bar. "You don't like parties?"

"Oh no. I love parties," you corrected. "I just don't like Tony's parties."

"It's pretty showy, huh?"

You released a snort of laughter, leaning against the bar. "You can say that again." You paused for a moment, glancing down the line of people to the bartended, before returning your attention to Bucky. "You want anything?"

He shook his head slightly, watching you carefully as you checked the line again. "Do you just wanna get out of here?" You glanced back at him with a furrowed brow. "We could order some food, watch a movie?"

You were nodding before you could catch yourself. "That does sound more my speed," you told him softly, glancing back at the crowd in search of Nat and Wanda. "You know what? Yeah, lets get out of here."

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x