Bruce Banner X Reader - Secrets

A/N - This chapter is based on the song 'Secrets' by DJ Regard and Raye, which I have intentionally misinterpreted. I hope you all enjoy it.

It had become pretty regular for Wanda and Nat to turn up on your doorstep on a weekend with pizza and their drink of choice if none of you were working. It was sweet really. You'd gone from three lone wolves to your own little pack, and you were practically inseparable. 

This time you had been relegated to the floor, gazing up at the two of them as you all just rattled on about your weeks. Pizza in one hand. A glass in the other. It was a perfectly chilled out evening. 

Or it had been until Bruce had come out of the bedroom, dressed in a coat and boots, ready to make a hasty escape. 

"Where you going, baby?" you murmured through a mouthful of pizza, glancing over your shoulder at him. 

"Just heading over to the lab for a bit. Shouldn't be long." 

"Okay," you uttered, offering him a small smile. "I'll see you later."

Bruce waved awkwardly at the three of you, and then he was out of the door before you could say another word. 

"Well," Nat started, watching as you turned you attention to the slice of pizza, picking at some of the toppings absentmindedly. "That was strange." 

You hummed as you glanced up at her. "What do you mean?" 

She frowned slightly. "Didn't Bruce seem a little off to you?" 

Your breath got caught in your throat, and you gave a small shrug. In all honesty, Bruce had been seeming a little of for the last two weeks, but you hadn't been able to figure out what had changed. 

"Nat's right," Wanda started, shifting on the sofa to get a proper look at you. "What's going on?"

You swallowed again, dropping the pizza back into the box and finally allowing yourself to frown properly. "I don't know. I've been trying to talk to him about it for a couple of days, but he just keeps denying that anythings up." You took a long drink from your glass, catching Nat's eyes. "I think he's keeping something from me."

"He might just be tired. He's always working," Wanda uttered, her brows furrowed as she watched you.

"No," you murmured, shaking your head slightly. "I've seen him burn out from work before. He gets all clingy and needy. It's nothing like this." You paused again, glancing away for a moment, only to return to the conversation with tears in your eyes. "What if he's cheating on me?"

"He wouldn't dare," Nat started, shifting to kneel beside you on the floor. "He knows we'd kill him for it." 

You released a snort of laughter, raising a hand to wipe the tears from your eyes. "I feel so stupid," you uttered, allowing Nat to pull you into an awkward hug. "It might be nothing, but I just can't help but feel that somethings wrong."

"I think you need to be brutal with him," Wanda told you as you glanced up at her, still wrapped in Nat's arms. "Tell him that somethings changed and demand to know what it is." 

You nodded, clearing your throat. 

The sound of the door unlocking startled you slightly, and you flinched out of Nat's grip as Bruce walked back in. 

"Hey," you murmured, forcing a smile up at him. "Back so soon?" 

Bruce blinked down at you, remaining quiet. "Yeah, I forgot my phone." He paused for a second, glancing over to Nat, who was still kneeling at your side, before returning his gaze to your tear stained cheeks. "Did something happen whilst I was gone?" 

You shook your head. "No," you uttered, swallowing around the lump in your throat. "Just talking about stuff." 

Nat took your hand in hers for a second. "I think Wanda and I should be heading out. Early start tomorrow."

Wanda nodded her agreement, both of them getting to their feet and gathering their things. "Thanks for coming over," you murmured, offering them a small smile. "I'll call you later." 

They left quickly after that, leaving you standing quietly with Bruce. "Were you crying?" You nodded your answer. "Y/N, what's going on?" 

A small, humourless laugh slipped out of you as you shook your head. "I thought I was going to be the one asking you that," you started, your eyes threatening to fill with tears again. 

"I don't-"

"Just tell me," you interrupted, holding up a hand to silence him. "Is there someone else?" 

Bruce's mouth dropped open at your comment, his entire face morphing into one of pure horror. "No. Why would there ever be someone else?" 

You shrugged. "You've barely even looked at me in weeks. You've been distant and I just-" You paused for a moment. "I thought maybe you didn't want me anymore."

"Oh, Sweetheart," Bruce uttered, his own eyes growing watery. "I'm not going anywhere, I promise," he continued, moving towards you and pulling you close to him.

"Then what is happening with you?" 

You felt him tense under your touch, and then he cleared his throat. "Nothing."

"Please don't lie to me." You pulled away then, moving over to the sofa in an attempt to put some distance between you. "I just need you to be honest with me."

"I can't." 

Your heart dropped at his comment, your stomach tightening. God, you felt sick. "Why not?" 

Bruce pressed his eyes closed for a moment, attempting to calm his raging nerves. "Because I wanted to surprise you." You kept your gaze fixed on him, remaining completely silent. He released a soft breath before turning away and moving into the bedroom, startling you slightly, until he returned with another coat in his arms. "I didn't want to let it slip," he continued, reaching into one of the pockets and rummaging around for a moment before pulling out a small velvet box. "Wanted to ask you when we finally got some time away, just the two of us." 

He flipped open the box, revealing a beautiful ring to you, and leaving you breathless. "You were going to ask me to marry you?" you murmured, your eyes fixed on the ring. 

Bruce chuckled slightly. "I still am. Just not the way I planned." 

You nodded, let out a soft laugh as you moved back over to him, wrapping your arms around his neck. "I'm sorry for spoiling it."

"You didn't spoil anything," he told you, pressing his lips to the side of your head in a gentle kiss. "I don't think you're physically possible of spoiling anything." You pulled your face away from his chest and pulled him into a proper kiss, your hands on his cheeks to hold him in place. 

"Don't ever try to keep anything from me ever again, okay?" 

Bruce nodded, pressing another quick kiss to your lips. "I promise." 

 Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x