Clint Barton X Soulmate!Reader - Love is Fire: Requested

A/N - This chapter was requested by user: Gemini0404. This is a soulmate AU where the first words your soulmate says to you appear on your wrist when you turn 16. It is based on the song 'Love is Fire' by Freya Ridings. I hope you all enjoy it.

Stay behind cover.  When you were 16 and they had first showed up on your wrist they had been individual, something that would make your soulmate stand out from all of the other people around you. But now, they hinted at something a lot more scary. With half of the world being turned into dust by some strange alien creature, you were already terrified of the way life had changed, but with the idea of taking cover planted in your head, it seemed you were destined to be a lot more involved in the fight for the planet than you would have liked.

Since the blip, you had stopped going out so frequently, only leaving the safety of your home for the necessities. Of course, you knew this would make it a lot harder to find your soulmate, but part of you didn't truly mind. If not finding him would keep you safe, perhaps you were better off being lonely. 

You had taken to walking quickly, hurrying down the street to your destination: a shop on the corner of your street. It wasn't far from your house, but far enough that the short journey would set you on edge. You had almost made it to your destination when an arrow sailed past your head, wedging itself into the wall, only a few inches from your head.

Fuck. You reached up, measuring the distance between the arrow and your face with your hand. If you had taken ever one step more it would have embedded itself into the side of your head and killed you on the spot. Suddenly, you were angry. You'd lived through so much, and someone had almost taken you out with a misfired arrow.

You were turning your head in search of the bow man a second later, looking rather erratic as your eyes locked on a man crouched behind a car on the other side of the road, knocking another arrow. 

Before you could think better of your actions, you were marching towards him with a scowl on your face. "You could have killed me, you fucking lunatic," you spat out, continuing towards him as he glanced up at you, eyes wide and mouth hanging open. "Who the fuck even uses a bow and arrow in public?" you continued, growing more and more frustrated with his silence.

He was on his feet in a second, moving in your direction and tugging you down beside another car. It was then that you heard the ping of a bullet against metal, your eyes widening as he sent you an awkward smile. "Stay behind cover," he uttered, watching as you gave a short nod. "I'll be back in a minute," he added, patting your shoulder before moving back out of cover and in the direction of the bullets.

You could hardly breathe as you sat huddled up on the pavement, waiting silently for the bullets to stop and the man to come back to you. In all honesty, you couldn't understand why you weren't running and screaming back to your house. There was nothing keeping you from standing up and going, but something in you couldn't bring yourself to move. 

A few minutes later, the man rounded the other end of the car, causing you to jump as you caught sight of him. "Hey," he started, coming to sit beside you on the ground. "Sorry if I scared you," he added softly, watching as you simply shook your head. You remained silent for a moment, attempting to get your breathing under control. 

"I'm sorry for yelling," you finally murmured, bringing your hands up to your face to rub at your temples. "I'm not normally so quick to anger," you added, hearing a small chuckle escape him.

"I'm glad you did. I doubt I would have known you were my soulmate if you hadn't yelled it," he told you softly, watching as your eyes went wide as you glanced over at him.

"What?" 

The man pulled back his sleeve, revealing your words etched into his wrist. "I always thought they were pretty funny: 'You could have killed me, you fucking lunatic!' Makes me sound like a real wild card."

"I didn't even notice," you murmured, pulling your own sleeve back. "I always assumed you'd be a cop," you added, sending him an awkward smile.

"I'm Clint," he told you. "And it is lovely to meet you," he continued, holding out his hand for you to shake.

You nodded slightly, taking his hand in yours. "Y/N." You paused for a moment, simply looking at him. He was handsome, sure, but the mohican was a choice. "I guess you aren't a cop, then?"

"Not exactly." Clint got to his feet, holding his hand out for you to take. "Come on, lets get you somewhere warm and I'll explain everything."

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x