Bucky Barnes X Reader - Lifted: Requested

A/N - This chapter was requested by user: erincannon132. I ended up being inspired by the lyrics to 'Lifted' by Birdy. I hope you all enjoy it.

You always listened to music when you did your paperwork. It kept you moving forward through the pages and pages of endless nonsense that had become common place now that you had taken a step back from your position as a field agent and into an office role. The work had taken a bad effect on your mental health, with some of the tragic things you had seen, and you'd decided to protect your own mind from getting any worse. 

It had taken a long time to make the decision. Your work was your life. Hell, you'd never dated, you rarely saw family or friends. Your best friends lived in the compound with you. It wasn't a choice to be made lightly, but in the long run, it was the right one. Tony had even helped you to start studying at a local college when you'd mentioned an interest in helping other people in your position. Of course, he'd teased you endlessly about the idea of you being a shrink, but you knew him well enough to take it on the chin.

You were flipping through the pages of your most recent reading assignment, something about Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and the benefits it could have with Phobias and Anxiety Disorders, when a hand landed on your shoulder, causing you to leap inelegantly from your chair. Your headphones ripped themselves off of your head as you stood, turning to glare in Bucky's direction as you attempted to catch your breath.

"What the fuck, Buck?" you spat, a hand coming up to rest over your racing heart. "You almost killed me."

Bucky's lips twitched slightly. In any other situation he would have been pissing himself laughing at his ability to make you jump, but tonight something was off. "Sorry," he uttered softly, and you simply nodded, stepping away from your desk to sit more comfortably on your bed. 

You'd been friendly with Bucky ever since Steve had brought him to the Avenger's Compound for the first time, and his late night visits had become a commonality. One evening, whilst you were watching a movie together, you'd referred to yourselves as the 'Nightowls' and it had just seemed to stick.

"What's up?" you murmured, patting the bed in front of you as you tucked your legs under yourself. Sure, Bucky had been timid with you at first, he had been with everyone, but you hadn't seen this side of him in years. 

"Nothings u-"

"Don't lie to me," you interrupted, your expression turning stern as he gave in and perched at the foot of the bed. "Come on, Buck. Talk to me."

He released a deep sigh, his whole body loosening slightly as he slumped backwards on the bed, landing quite ungracefully on his back. "I had another dream."

Your face softened as you reached out to him, your hand gripping his arm lightly. "You wanna talk about it?"

"No." 

"You wanna talk about anything else?"

Bucky's brow furrowed at that, glancing up at you in confusion. "Like what?"

"I don't know," you uttered, shifting to lay down beside him. "The weather. Or last nights big game. Or politics." There was a long pause as you released your own sigh, nudging him with your shoulder. "No topic is off limits in this room, you know that."

"If you can tell me who played last night, I'll give you ten dollars," he started, turning to you with a proper smile. 

Your nose wrinkled up as you wracked your brain for literally any and all sporting knowledge. "The Islanders," you started softly, biting down on your lip as you waited for his response.

"And what sport do they play?"

Fuck. "Basketball."

"That's the Knicks, Darlin'."

"Baseball."

"The Mets."

"Football?"

"Nope."

Your brows furrowed as you continued thinking. "There aren't any more sports," you finally uttered, giving in entirely. 

You wanted to be annoyed when you heard Bucky begin to laugh. You wanted to be pissed that he could so effortlessly laugh at your misfortune. But in all honesty, it just felt good to know that you'd taken his mind off of his dreams for long enough for him to relax. 

"The Islanders play Ice Hockey," he told you through his laughter, and you glanced over at him with a faux glare.

"No. The Rangers play Ice Hockey," you started, internally very proud of yourself for remembering that little bit of information.

"New York has two hockey teams, Doll."

Your mouth dropped open and you shoved his arm. "Then that isn't fair. There was never any chance of me guessing that right."

Eventually, Bucky's laughter drew you in, and you were chuckling along with him. And then it faded, and you were both laying silently beside each other. 

"The dream was about you." Bucky's words broke through the quiet like a hot knife through butter, leaving you a little lost as you glanced over at him. "This guy from Hydra got into my brain and he kept making me hurt you," he paused for a moment, taking a deep breath. "And you just kept telling me that you understood; that you didn't blame me."

"Oh Buck," you murmured, reaching out to take his hand in yours.

"I can't stand the idea of hurting you."

"You won't. I promise," you told him, drawing his hand up to your lips to press a kiss to his knuckles. "I won't let you."

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x