Bucky Barnes X Reader - Heartbreak Hotel

A/N - This chapter is based on the song 'Heartbreak Hotel' by Abigail Barlow. It's a little short, but I hope you all enjoy it.

It was just sex. I mean, it was absolutely mind-blowing-ly good sex, but there was nothing more going on. You had been pretty clear on that from day one. Fresh out of a long term relationship and still completely doting on the piece of shit ex who had left you high and dry. But it seemed that now, two months into the arrangement, Bucky seemed to have forgotten that part of the discussion.

"We should have a boys night." Sam had always been the one to make the plans in that little group, and it seemed he was longing for a bit of attention from his two best super soldier friends. "Get some drinks, watch the game-"

"I can't do tonight," Bucky interrupted, and you glanced up, watching as Sam's smile dropped. "I've got plans with my girl." Your brow furrowed at that, entire body tensing as you sat up a little straighter on the sofa. 

"I didn't know you were seeing anyone," Sam uttered, slipping into his teasing self quicker than you had expected. "Who is she?" Bucky remained silent, shrugging slightly as he sunk into his seat, hoping that they would let the conversation slide. No such luck. "Come on, if you're going to ditch me for her then she's gotta be pretty important." 

Bucky glanced in your direction, as if begging for your help. "I didn't mean 'my girl'. She's just some girl I've been seeing-"

"But you definitely said your girl, not just some girl." Sam let out a soft snort, watching as his friend practically squirmed on the spot. "You're in love with this girl, aren't you?"

"No." Bucky's face was suddenly very serious, silencing his friend. "And I don't want to talk about it." There was a pause, the room falling silent under the awkwardness of the situation. "I'm busy tonight, that's all you need to know."

You perked up slightly, clearing your throat and drawing Sam's attention over to you. "Can I come? I was going to watch the game in my room anyway-"

"You want to come to boys night?"

"It's just you and Steve," you corrected with a short chuckle. "It's not exactly lads on tour, is it?" 

Sam released a small sigh, giving a short shrug. "Yeah, sure. We'll need a replacement for the old man," he uttered, gesturing over at Bucky, who was watching you with a small frown etched onto his lips. 

"Perfect," you started again, getting to your feet and heading towards the door. "I'll see you this evening."

You had barely made it back to your room when you'd heard Bucky calling out your name, moving quickly as he attempted to catch up to you before you could shut the door on him. You had almost managed it, too, but his hand had caught it just before it could click closed. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to-"

"I am not 'your girl' and you need to get that into your head." Your words were harsh, you knew it, but they were necessary. "And you need to stop slipping up. If Sam finds out that we're sleeping together he'll tell everyone." 

"It was an accident-"

"I am stressed enough already without having to worry about whether you've fallen in love with me," you spat out. Bucky looked a little wounded by your comment, shrink back slightly. "I think we should stop." 

"Y/N-"

"I don't think it's good for either of us at the moment." You released a small sigh, moving further into your room and seating yourself at the foot of your bed. "I don't want to get hurt again Buck. I wouldn't be able to take it." 

He nodded slightly, shifting awkwardly on the spot as you kept your eyes focused on him. "If that's what you want," he murmured, chancing a glance up at you. 

"It is." You swallowed around the lump in your throat. "I'm just not in the right place for this yet."

"Okay," he started again, clearing his throat and straightening up before offering you a tight-lipped smile. "Well, when you are in the right place, I would love to take you to dinner."

A small chuckle escaped you and you gave him a small nod. "I will make sure to let you know when I'm ready."

 Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x