Tony Stark X Reader - Angels Like You

A/N - This chapter is based on the song 'Angels Like You' by Miley Cyrus. I've really been enjoying her new album recently, but this is by far my favourite song. I hope you all enjoy it.

In all honesty, you weren't sure how your relationship with Tony had gotten so serious so quickly. It had gone from easy flirting to full blown dating so effortlessly that you had barely been aware it was happening, and then he was introducing you to friends and family as his girlfriend and you were stuck smiling along. The more coupley he became the more you distanced yourself, pushing him away like you had every other man that had walked into your life. You were good at forcing people to leave, you always had been.

Tony had his arm wrapped around you, his hand resting on your hip as he chuckled along with some story Rhodey was telling the group. You wished you could join in, you really did, but all you could think about was the hand touching you, your attention so caught up on Tony's touch that you were completely out of it. And then there was that steady trail of guilty thoughts running through your mind. There were woman who would kill to have a man like Tony in their life. He was attentive and he loved you, but God it was stifling. 

You glanced up, noting Nat watching you carefully, her brow furrowed as you forced a smile onto your lips. She shifted on the spot for a moment before clearing her throat, moving towards you. "Let's go get a drink," she uttered, linking her arm with yours and drawing you away from the boys. You finally relaxed when you felt Tony's arm leave your waist, your shoulders slumping when you finally reached the bar. 

"What did you want to drink?" you murmured, leaning your elbow against the bar and giving her a weak smile.

"I don't want a drink, idiot. Just needed a reason to get you away from the boys," she uttered back, looking a little concerned as she slipping onto one of the stools at the bar, gesturing for you to join her. You did as you were told, sitting as comfortably as you possibly could, perched at an awkward angle. "You don't look happy," she finally told you, her brows furrowed as she leant a little closer to you, keeping her voice low so that you would be the only person to hear her. "What's going on?" 

You took a deep, shaking breath and cleared your throat. "I don't know," you confessed, your forced smile dropping completely, replaced with pure fear. "I should be happy that Tony loves me but I just-" you took another breath, running your hand over your face in frustration. "-I don't think I love him. Not really, anyway." 

"Oh," she murmured, releasing a soft sigh. "I assumed you were just going to say you'd been arguing or something, but this is a pretty big deal, huh?" 

You nodded, tears brimming in your eyes. "Am I terrible person?" 

Nat took your hand in hers, giving it a light squeeze. "You can't force yourself to love someone, that wouldn't be fair on either of you," she uttered. "But you need to tell him, it's only going to get harder the longer you wait." 

"Fuck," you muttered, sniffling away your tears and shaking your head. "Why does this keep happening to me? I get so fucking excited about a new relationship and then just poof, I decide i'm not happy anymore. I should've known that getting involved with him would end badly. It's pathetic. It's-"

Nat hushed you, tugging your stool closer to her so that she could pull you into a light hug. "You can't help it if you fall out of love with someone," she told you softly, pressing a kiss to the side of your head. "But you do have to be honest with him about it." 

"I know," you murmured, pressing your face into her neck to stifle your tears.

Nat just looked at you for a moment, staying quiet as she offered you a small, half-smile. "Go to your room, I'll tell him you were feeling sick or something."

You nodded, shifting off of the stool and pausing for a moment. "Thank you for understanding," you told her, gripping her hand in yours for one last moment before releasing it and making a quick exit from the party.

*Time Skip*

You'd managed to change out of your dress and remove your makeup before there was a knock on your door, and you took a deep breath before opening it, finding Tony waiting for you with a small frown. 

"How you feeling, Baby?" he started, placing a hand on your waist to move you back into your room and shutting the door behind him. "Nat said you had a bit of a funny turn at the bar," he added, his free hand shifting to touch your forehead, checking your temperature. 

You sniffled slightly. "It wasn't exactly a health thing," you confessed, taking a step away from him to avoid his touch. God, this felt horrendous, but Nat had been right, you couldn't keep dragging Tony along without the intention of ever being together properly. "I'm miserable," you uttered, only just loudly enough for him to hear you. 

Tony's brow furrowed, his hand shifting to take yours only for you to pull away from him. "Y/N, what's going on?" 

"I don't think we're right for each other," you started, clearing your throat as he watched you carefully. "And I can't be the woman you need me to be," you added softly, watching as his hand ran over his chin. 

"What are you talking about?" he murmured. "I don't need you to be anyone else-"

"You want a wife and kids. You want the perfect little life and I'm never going to be able to give you that." You paused for a moment, shifting on the spot. "I don't want to hurt you, but the longer I pretend that I could maybe live that life the more invested you get and-" you stopped taking a deep, shaking breath. "-it'll only hurt more in the long run."

Tony's eyes were filled with tears as he took a seat at the foot of your bed, his head hanging low. "Are you leaving me?" 

Your mouth opened and closed as you attempted to find something to say. For a moment you wished you could take every word back and pretend this had never happened, but you were too far gone for that now. "Yes." He nodded slightly, wiping at the tears that were now making tracks down his cheeks. "I'm sorry."

He was on his feet a moment later, his lips pressed to yours. As he pulled away he pressed his forehead to yours. "Please," he murmured, his breath fanning against your face. "We can make it work. I can compromise on the kid thing. We can-"

"Tony," you interrupted, your hand coming up to cup his cheek, moving his face away from yours with a gentle touch. "You shouldn't have to compromise your life for me." You stood like that for a moment, committing one another to memory. 

  Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x