Bucky Barnes X Super!Reader - Running Up That Hill

A/N - This chapter is based on the song 'Running Up That Hill' by Kate Bush. I intend to make a second part to this chapter, so I hope you all enjoy it.

The mission had gone to shit the moment you had stepped off of the jet. If you'd had any sense you would have gotten straight back on board and headed back home. You would've plotted your attack again rather than running head first into danger. But, as was so common with your decisions in life, all attempt at sensible thinking had left you. 

Infiltrating Hydra bases was one of your least favourite mission briefings. Bucky would always put on a strong show for the others, but the idea of going back to a place that held so many negative memories was painful for him. The weeks running up to your mission would have him on edge, and then once you were home again he would release the stress from his system and be numb for a couple of days. And it fucking sucked that there was nothing you could do to protect him from his own head. God, you would have given anything to help him forget that those places had ever existed. 

As you wound your way towards the base, the forest suspiciously empty, almost silent other than the wind brushing through the trees, you could feel the anxiety coming off of him in waves. This wouldn't have been an easy mission, even if everything was going to plan. 

You paused for a moment, holding up your arm for Bucky to stop with you. "This doesn't feel right," you uttered, barely audible despite the quiet. "These bases usually have patrols all over the place, and I haven't seen a soul," you continued, your brow furrowed as Bucky moved to stand close at your side. "Something isn't right," you repeated as his hand came to rest on your elbow.

"Maybe they stopped working out of this base," he started softly, watching as you shook your head. 

"The file said it was an active facility-"

A loud crack sounded amongst the trees, setting your entire body on edge as you span in the direction the sound had come from, and then Bucky was shoving you to the side, narrowly avoiding a spray of bullets. You landed heavily, thudding down into the mess of damp leaves with a grunt. 

"Y/N?" Bucky called out from his spot, crouching behind a tree for cover. "I think they know we're here," he added, as you scrambled to find cover of your own. 

"No shit," you muttered, leaning against the trunk of a tree and taking a deep breath. "You ready?" you added, watching as Bucky nodded his agreement, and then you were both on your feet. 

At some point in the fighting, your enemy had grown in numbers. One Hydra agent became two, and two became three, and they just kept coming as you knocked them down. You were almost certain you were winning too, until you heard a voice call out to you, stopping you in your tracks. When you glanced over at Bucky, your breath stuck in your throat. On either side of him was a hydra henchman, and wrapped around his neck was a collar, one you were very familiar with. When you'd first been introduced to Tony by your parents you had been wearing one. It would hinder your powers when you couldn't control them yourself, and now Bucky was under its command. He had never looked so helpless to you before, and you felt your heart tighten in your chest. 

Your jaw twitched as you considered your options. If you used your powers you could kill the two agents at Bucky's side with no issue, but without the serum's effects in his body, Bucky would be in danger too. You were stuck. 

"Y/N," Bucky uttered, shifting slightly in his confinement. "Go." 

There was no way you would have ever abandoned him anywhere, let alone here, and even the thought of it made a lump form in your throat. "Let him go," you started, attempting to keep your voice even as you spoke. "You do that and I'll come willingly."

"Y/N." The venom in Bucky's voice was enough to startle you slightly, your breath leaving you in a shaking exhale. 

"Let's face it," you continued, pushing his warning to the back of your mind. "I can be of a lot more use to you than he can." 

"Stop." 

"But you have to let him go first. You let him get on the jet and leave and you can have me." The look on Bucky's face could have broken your heart if you had looked at it for long enough. He looked like a lost little kid, so terrified of you leaving him that he was close to crying. You paused for a moment, your words lingering just before they fell out of your mouth. "It's going to be okay, Buck." 

And then the guards were dragging him back in the direction of the jet with you following close on their heels, looking for any chance to take them out without harming Bucky in the process.

As he was shoved onto the jet, he hesitated, glancing back at you for just a second. "I'll be back for you soon, Angel." 

A small half-smile pulled at your lips at his comment. You knew what these people had done to him, you both did, and you both knew that no matter how quickly he came back you wouldn't be the same person. "I love you, Buck." 

The door of the jet slipped shut, as the guards came closer to you, closing a collar around your neck. They began to tug you along, towards their base as their new prisoner, and you continued to crane your neck as you watched the jet lift off, leaving you behind. 

  Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x