Bucky Barnes X Rogers!Reader - Graveyard

A/N - This chapter is based on the song 'Graveyard' by Halsey. I hope you all enjoy it.

When you were young you had been carefree. Wonderfully, hopelessly worry-less. You had been in love and happy, and even the war hadn't seemed to scare you. You were untouchable. Or so you had thought. The world had shifted pretty quickly once Bucky had signed up to go overseas. Suddenly, the lack of fear was replaced by a constant dread. You could go from happily curled at his side to tears in a matter of seconds, and the idea of ever having to live on without him was killing you. Hell, you'd only been married for a year, and he was already leaving you on you to go and fight abroad.

"Come on, Doll," he had uttered one evening, pressing a gentle kiss to your lips in an attempt to calm your sobs. "I'll be back before you know it," he continued, his hand shifting to cup your cheek, forcing you to look into his eyes. "And besides, you'll barely notice I'm gone; you'll be too busy keeping Steve out of trouble." It was a lie, you both knew that you would miss him the entire time, but it seemed to stop him feeling so guilty about leaving to repeat the same thing over and over whenever you got worked up. The only truth was that you would have your hands full with your brother's constant need to get himself into trouble. 

You nodded, sniffling slightly as you pulled him into a tight embrace. You'd had the same conversation time and time again since Bucky had announced he was joining the army. "I know," you uttered, wiping away the tears that had gathered under your eyes. "But I'm going to miss you."

Bucky hummed, pressing a kiss to the side of your head. "I know, Angel, but I'll be home before you know it." 

*Time Skip*

Within the year, Steve had gone and gotten himself into the kind of trouble you would never have been able to get him out of. Your skinny twig of a brother had been transformed into a superhero, and you had been left to watch him head off into the world without you too. 

A few months after that, your husband had been dead and you brother had been frozen, with little chance of surviving it they were to attempt to bring him back. Agent Carter had approached you with a mission of your own after that. Go under the ice and be their to help Steve to adjust when he was eventually revived. 

It hadn't exactly been a hard decision. The two people in the world who you had cared for were gone, and this way you had a chance of getting one of them back. 

*Time Skip*

"You shouldn't have gone under." They were the first words Steve had said to you when you'd both been unfrozen. He was watching you so carefully that he looked a little scary, and you simply shrugged a response. "You should have lived your life properly."

You scoffed slightly. "I didn't have a life anymore," you uttered, sitting up on the hospital bed to look at him. "Bucky and I were supposed to have babies and grow old together, it wouldn't have felt right doing it without him." 

Steve nodded, shifting off of his own bed to pull you into a tight hug. "I would have done anything to have saved him."

"I know," you murmured, pulling away and giving him a weak attempt at the smile he was so used to. You watched as he nodded, taking a deep, shaking breath. "He knew too," you added, taking his hand in yours and giving it a light squeeze.

*Time Skip*

The door of your apartment was thrown open rather suddenly, revealing a panting, flushed Steve. You had given him a set of keys for emergencies, and it seemed he had deemed tonight to be one of those times. 

"He's alive." 

Your brow furrowed as you sat up on the sofa, releasing a soft sigh. "You know I hate it when you get all cryptic-"