Steve Rogers X Reader - Don't Go

A/N- This story is based on the song 'Don't Go' by Wretch 32 and Josh Kumra. I have always adored it and hope you enjoy the chapter.

You had first met Steve in a bar, which would always be beyond funny to you. You rarely went out, especially not on a Saturday night in downtown Manhattan, when you were more likely to get lost in a crowd than to ever end up actually meeting up with a friend. But your friends had insisted, one of them was leaving the country for a while and it was of the utmost importance to her that you all got absolutely shitfaced together one last time before that happened. 

So you had found yourself standing uncomfortably at the bar, waiting to be served by the bartender, who seemed more interested in getting into the pants of one of the girls down the other end of the line than in actually serving drinks. Your feet were already aching from standing in the line outside for so long, and you were tired from a long week of work, but you plastered a smile back onto your lips and attempted to look as though you were enjoying yourself. 

Steve, on the other hand, was out for a birthday. His best friend, Bucky, was turning 102 years old, and the Avengers had attempted to take him out on a proper, modern night out. Steve was just as miserable as you were, being jostled from every angle as people attempted to get past him to go to the bathroom, and barely even getting a buzz from the whiskey he'd been sipping for the last hour. 

"I'm going to the bathroom," one of your friends yelled at you over the music, shifting out of her seat and taking your hand in hers. "Come with me." 

You nodded, fighting back a laugh as she attempted to lead you through the crowd, swaying as she went. She wasn't exactly confident in heels at the best of times, but now she was seven double vodka tonics in and could barely even stand properly. You had managed to shift to place your hand on her shoulder, steering her through the crowd until one of her legs gave way, causing her to stumble sideways into a brick shithouse of a man. You watched as her drink tumbled from her hand, tipping itself across his back as you held her upright.

"I'm so sorry," you started as he turned to look at you, but he simply gave you a tight-lipped smile and nodded at your flustered expression.

"Don't worry about it," he answered you softly, glancing between you and your slightly wobbly friend. "Do you need a hand?"

You paused, looking over at your friend and letting out a small sigh. "Yeah-" you told him, scrunching up your face for a moment, "-I think I do."

He had gotten to his feet after that, allowing your friend to sit down in his spot. "Steve," he started, holding his hand out to shake yours.

"Y/N." You couldn't help the blush that found its way onto your cheeks, thanking your lucky stars that the room was dark enough to hide the redness from him. "And this is Sophie," you added, gesturing in her direction, "It's her last night out in New York before she moves to Paris, so she's gone a little wild."

Steve chuckled, waving his hand in her direction, "we all go a little wild, sometimes."

You had spent most of the rest of the night chatting with Steve. He was sweet and gentlemanly in a way that had left you absolutely floored. You had grown so used to the rich little brats who worked and played in Manhattan that it was refreshing to finally meet someone different.

*Time Skip*

"Hey Baby..." Steve always started your phone calls the same way, and it never failed to make your heart flutter and your stomach flip. "It looks like I'm going to be gone a little longer than planned." 

You sighed slightly, pouting, though you knew he couldn't see you. You'd been together for almost two years now, and somehow you still got all grumpy whenever he was gone, even if you were a bit more used to it now. "When will you be back?"

"I don't know, sweetness, but it shouldn't be much longer."

You sighed again, "I really miss you," you muttered softly and you heard him let out a small chuckle.

"I miss you too." 

It was then that another voice echoed down the line, tinny and awkward, but clearly not far from Steve and his phone. "You've been apart for three days," Tony yelled down the line, causing you to laugh.

"You guys are so cute, it's sickening," Bucky added, and you let out a small sigh. You wished you could be annoyed by their interruptions, but it was just nice to see them both getting along well enough to torture Steve. Their feud had left him so frustrated, and by association, you had grown stressed too. But everything seemed to have settled down now, and you could relax a little easier. 

"I'll call you back later, babe," Steve started, "when I finally get a little privacy."

You chuckled again, "Okay. I love you."

"I love you too, sweetness. See you soon." 

*Time Skip*

You were waiting at the Avengers facility when the helicarrier arrived. Steve was the first off, and he drew you into his arms as quickly as he could, pressing his lips against yours. 

"A week is too long," he grumbled, his arms still fixed tightly around you. 

You hummed your agreement, too busy inhaling the scent of him to properly answer him.

"I was talking to Buck whilst we were away," he started again, shifting out of your grip slightly and smiling down at you, "he seemed to think it was a good idea when I told him." He paused for a moment, reaching into his duffle bag and pulling out a ring box, "I don't think my life would be half as good as it is now without you in it. Will you marry me?" 

He was down on one knee in front of you, flicking the box open and holding it out to you. "I," you started, a small bubble of laughter escaping from your throat. "Of course I'll marry you, dummy."

You had your lips pressed to his in a second, getting as close to him as you could manage.

"I love you, idiot," you uttered as you pulled away, smiling as he slipped the ring onto your finger.

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x