Bucky Barnes X Reader - Heartbreak Hotel: Part 2

A/N - This chapter is a follow up to my previous Heartbreak Hotel post. It was partially inspired by the song 'Two Ghosts' by Harry Styles. I hope you all enjoy it.

It wouldn't be fair to say that you and Bucky had been avoiding one another since the awkward not-break up. You weren't actively trying to stay out of his way, it just sort of happened naturally. Your schedules fell out of sync. Whenever he was out on an assignment, you were at home, and vice versa. It had been almost two months, and you'd seen each other for a total of ten minutes, only ever saying a fleeting greeting as you passed in the halls, each on your own mission. 

In all honesty, you missed him. God, you really missed him, even when you told yourself it was stupid. You had to keep reminding yourself that breaking off your little friends with benefits situation was for the best, that it was only ever going to end in tears. But then you remembered just how happy you had been when you were spending time together. Not just the sex, even though you both thoroughly enjoyed that, but what came after. Just lounging together, enjoying the company. 

You wandered through the dark halls, headed for the shared kitchen that sat in the middle of your floor. It was always deserted at this time of night, and you could get access to whatever junk food you wanted without having to worry about being caught. You headed straight for the cutlery draw when you walked in, by passing the light switch and pulling out a spoon. You tucked it into your mouth before continuing on your journey to the fridge. 

The light of the freezer lit up the entire room with a dull glow, illuminating the contents. Frozen smoothie mix. Nope. Ice cubes. Not exactly snack material. You rummaged around in the cold for a moment, your fingers flinching at the tingling sensation, before your eyes found the object of your search. An untouched litre of Ben and Jerry's ice cream. 

A small sigh escaped your lips as you pulled out the tub, still standing with the fridge door open as you peeled off the plastic wrapping to reveal the pristine top of the ice cream. If you were in some soppy rom com you would've made some stupid comment about how Ice Cream would never hurt you like a man would, but that wouldn't be completely true. You were destined to have a stomach ache once you'd finished eating, the dairy causing havoc in your digestive system. 

As soon as the first spoonful of the sweet coolness hit your tongue, you heard a giggle coming from down the hall, a small groan escaping your lips. It would be fine, you reminded yourself, no sane person would come into a kitchen at two in the morning. You would be left in peace as soon as they found their room. And then the footsteps only got louder, and you heard the second voice joining the conversation. 

The footsteps paused when they reached the kitchen, and that sickening giggle came again. "I thought you said everyone would be asleep," the girl uttered, clearly very amused by the image of your pyjama clad body tucked close to the fridge, your head hidden by the freezer door.

"Hey, Y/N," Bucky started, moving into the room a little further as you continued to shelter your face from view. "What're you doing up?"

You shrugged slightly, refusing to look in their direction. You couldn't risk seeing this girl, this girl he had so clearly taken out dancing and drinking whilst you were home alone eating ice cream straight out of the tub. God, it was stupid. How could you even be mad about that? You were the one that called things off. 

"Couldn't sleep," you finally mumbled. Suddenly the ice cream tasted too sweet, leaving an artificial taste in your mouth that made you feel sick to your stomach. "I'll get out of your way," you added, shoving the lid back onto the tub and being a little too forceful and you closed the freezer door.

"You don't have to-" Bucky paused when he looked at you, now in almost perfect darkness other than the moonlight filtering through the blinds. "Is everything okay?"

You stayed silent as you glanced at him, another small shrug coming naturally at this point. "I'm fine." You turned quickly, dropping your spoon into the sink before making a hasty exit from the kitchen and hurrying back to your room. 

*Time Skip*

It wasn't long before there was a knock on your door, one you would have recognised anywhere. The one that had always brought a smile to your face when you were still sleeping together, but now tied your stomach up in nervous knots.

"Y/N?" his voice called quietly from behind the door. "Can I come in?"

You crossed the room slowly, pulling the door open to find Bucky looking every part as nervous as you felt. He had his hands shoved deep into his pockets, his shoulders hunched forward as he waited for you to say something. "Hey," you murmured, moving out of his way to let him into your room. 

"I just wanted to check you were okay," he started softly, moving to sit at the foot of your bed as if nothing had ever changed. 

"Where's your friend?"

Bucky swallowed, looking away for a moment and releasing a small sigh. "I sent her home." 

You snorted slightly. "Poor girl." 

"She doesn't matter right now. This was more important." 

You nodded, standing awkwardly in front of him and feeling completely out of place in your own room. "Well, as you can see, I'm fine," you uttered, gesturing at yourself a little too wildly. 

Bucky quirked an eyebrow at you. "I'm not an idiot, Y/N." He paused for a moment, the room filling with a long, dragged-out silence. "Look, I know you wanted a bit of distance, but we're still friends and I'm worried about you."

"We're not friends, Buck," you murmured, drawing in a shaking breath. "We weren't ever friends. We were colleagues that fucked once in a while."

"I-"

"We never even saw each other unless we were having sex, and-"

"Shut up." You fell silent the moment the words left his lips. "That isn't true and you know it." You sniffled slightly, shuffling on the spot as Bucky kept his gaze fixed on you. "Those nights when we just stayed in bed talking and watching tv were some of the best nights of my life. I get that you weren't ready for more, and I respect your decision on that, but you don't get to tell me that it wasn't real." 

"Buck," you murmured, your mouth hanging open as you tried to turn your thoughts into words. "I didn't-" Your lip trembled as your voice shook, attempting to hold back tears that wanted to flow. "I'm sorry." 

Bucky was on his feet a moment later, drawing you into his arms as you released a thick sob from somewhere deep in your chest. "I know," he murmured, tucking your head under his chin as he took a deep breath. 

"I was scared and I just thought this would be easier," you sobbed against him, his t-shirt growing damp from your tears. "I didn't mean to hurt you."

His hand came up to brush his fingers through your hair, soothing you slightly. "I know, Sweetheart." He paused for a moment, his grip on you tightening just a little bit. "Why don't we start over?"

You stilled slightly, pulling your face away from his chest to look up at him with confusion clear on your face. "What?"

"Let me take you out to dinner. We'll pretend that none of this ever happened, and it can be a new start. It's all in the past." 

For a moment, you considered the proposition, and then you gave him a slow nod. "I'd like that." 

Bucky smiled, his hand coming up to touch your cheek in a gentle caress. "Perfect."

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x