Natasha Romanoff X Fem!Reader - Checkin' It Out

A/N - This imagine is based on the song 'Checkin' It Out' by Lil' Chris. I hope you all enjoy it.

You had been longing for Nat from the moment you had first set eyes on her. It was like everything she did was totally effortless and utterly perfect. From the little winks she would send you when she was teasing one of the others, to the way she could kill a man without breaking a sweat. It all left you completely overwhelmed and flustered.

Every now and then you would consider telling her. Showing her. Anything to get the little secret off of your chest. But you would always chicken out. She would be standing there, looking every part the goddess she was, and you would change directions immediately, unable to talk, let alone take the opportunity to tell her how you felt about her.

It would definitely ruin your friendship, there was no doubt about it. If she were to tell you that she wasn't interested, that you weren't her type, or god forbid that she wasn't actually gay. It would just about break your heart if she didn't love you as you loved her, and so you kept your thoughts to yourself, revelling in them when there was no one around to notice.

"Hey!" The voice made you jump, splashing water out of the sink and down the front of your shirt. Nat had the ability to sneak up on almost anyone, and always went out of her way to scare the shit out of you whenever she got the chance.

"Fuck, Nat," you exclaimed softly, grabbing the tea towel from its spot on the counter and wiping your hands dry. "You almost scared the life out of me," you told her, causing that perfect smile to part her lips.

She walked past you, grabbing a coffee cup from the cupboard above the sink. "You're too easy to scare," she chuckled, shaking her head as she moved towards the coffee machine. She was right, you always got a little jumpy when you were thinking about her. God forbid, Wanda catching you thinking about your friend the way you did. You'd never live it down.

"No," you attempted to defend yourself, shifting to sit up on the counter, "you're just too sneaky."

Nat snorted, glancing back at you as the mug slowly filled, the bitter smell filling the room. "Liar." You paused for a moment, watching as her lips pulled back to reveal her teeth, pearly white and as perfect as she was. Her smile was breathtaking, the kind of smile that poets struggled to find words for and that artists attempted to commit to canvas. "What?"

You hummed slightly, zoning back into the moment and dragging your eyes away from her face. "Nothing," you murmured softly, shaking your head. "Not completely with it today," you added, forcing a small smile for her.

"Wanna talk about it?"

God was it tempting, she had offered you the perfect opportunity to spill your guts to her. But you shook your head. "Nah, it's nothing."

Nat nodded, smile no longer gracing her face, replaced with a frown that made your heart sink. "Well, you know where to find me if you change your mind," she told you firmly, picking up her mug and giving you a small, tight-lipped smile before making a hasty exit from the kitchen, leaving you alone.

Perhaps you should take her up on her offer. You could go to her room and tell her all about how you hadn't been doing too great in training lately, and how you ached at the end of every session. Or you could tell her about how you hadn't been sleeping properly for a while now, too caught up in the missions coming your way to fully rest. Yeah, maybe that was a better idea. It would make her feel good, to think she was helping you, and you would get to spend more time in her presence, which was never a bad thing.

You wound your way through the halls, headed towards Nat's room, and attempting to keep your heart beating at a normal rate. For a moment, you wondered whether it was obvious, your hidden love for her. What if everyone knew? What if this was what they spent their time talking about, wondering when you would finally pluck up the courage to act on your feelings? What if Nat knew too and was just waiting around to shoot your down?

Fuck. You had almost talked yourself out of it completely when you paused outside of her door, not even getting a chance to knock before it was pulled open, revealing a smiling Nat.

"You aren't very sneaky," she told you, fighting back a chuckle, "I can hear you coming from a mile off."

You forced a smile on your face as she stepped out of your way, letting you inside. Your breath caught in your throat as she climbed onto the sofa, tucking her legs under herself and patting the seat beside her for you to come and sit down. She looked so beautiful, even now, in baggy sweat pants and her hair pulled back into a messy ponytail, strands escaping to linger around the back of her neck.

"I-," you started softly, pausing for a moment to clear your throat. "I haven't been sleeping properly." You followed her silent instruction and perched awkwardly on the sofa.

"Why not?"

Wait, why was it you weren't sleeping properly? For the life of you, you couldn't remember, your mouth hanging open and you blinked silently.

"Because I'm in love with you." Fuck, wrong answer. Nat watched you, focusing on your face for a moment, before her smile returned.

"Really?"

You nodded, uncomfortably, looking anywhere but at her. "I'm really sorry," you started again, your voice halting when Nat took your hand in hers.

"Why are you sorry? Do you not want to love me?"

Your brow furrowed as you stared at your hands, intertwined in Nat's lap. "No, I just didn't think you'd want me to."

"Of course I want you to love me," she told you softly, reaching up to turn your head, forcing you to look at her. "It wouldn't be fair if I was the only one loving in our relationship."

"Our relationship?"

"Well," Nat started softly, "I assume you aren't just here to fuck me... If you are you aren't doing a very good job of it."

A chuckle burst from between your lips. This was so surreal. So unimaginable. And yet, it was happening. Nat wanted you too. "So, you want to be my girlfriend?"

"I would love it."

The kiss Nat pressed to your lips was gentle, and you couldn't help but gasp as she pulled away, reaching up to touch your own lips in an attempt to have the feeling again. It had been perfect in every way, just as she was. "I love you."

Nat smiled, her fingers grazing against your cheeks for a second. "I know you do," she answered softly, leaning in to kiss you in that perfect way all over again.

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x