Tony Stark X Reader - Angel of Small Death

A/N - This imagine is based on the song 'The Angel of Small Death and the Codeine Scene' by Hozier. It's a little bit short, but I hope you all enjoy it.

The first time you had met Tony, he was certain he was in the presence of an angel. The way you smiled, though not directed at him, sent his heart into overdrive. If he were a normal man, he was pretty sure it would have killed him on the spot.

From that day on, he had made it his main mission in life to be with you. It would be hard work. Yes, he was a billionaire, and one of the most well-known superheroes on earth, but you didn't seem like the time to be impressed by that sort of thing.

It was almost like you avoided him after that. Any time he would enter a room, you would find a way to keep your distance; drifting through the crowd with ease as you kept your conversations moving with you. But, it wasn't like he had any trouble finding you. People hung on your every word, and as such, wherever you would go, people would follow. The little huddle near to you made you easy to spot.

"Good evening," Tony had started when he had finally managed to catch you off guard, and your smile quickly faded.

"Evening," you muttered back, turning to look at the woman at your side and continuing with your conversation.

Tony was taken aback, to say the least. It's not like women fell at his feet, but he had never been so easily shrugged off before, and it was a blow that his ego hadn't been expecting.

"Are you having fun?" This time you visibly rolled your eyes as you turned to look at him, letting out a deep sigh.

"I'm in the middle of a conversation," you bit out, fixing him with a quirked eyebrow that demanded his silence.

"Oh," Tony uttered, nodding. "Sorry, I'll leave you to it."

You smirked as you watched him shift uncomfortably, squinting your eyes in a way that left him wanting to disappear. "Yeah, why don't you do that?" you murmured before turning back to your friend. She chuckled as you rolled your eyes, and Tony made a swift exit, his stomach turning as he hurried across the room.

He hadn't expected you to be so mean. God, he felt like you had killed him with the way you had so effortlessly torn him down. What was wrong with him? If you were anyone else he would have had some witty comeback; some retort to leave you on the back foot. But he had lost his entire vocabulary with you standing in front of him. 

Tony spent the rest of the night sitting at the bar, nursing a glass of whiskey and thinking of the multiple ways he could have made your short attempt at a conversation go better. Maybe if he had come on a little stronger you would have allowed him to stick around. Or maybe, if he'd had someone else introduce you to one another, you would have felt rude ignoring him.

It took him almost a minute to notice you when you took the seat next to him, waiting patiently for the bartender to take your order. You released a soft sigh before turning to him, a small frown on your lips. "My friend told me that I was being rude, and I wanted to apologise," you started, drawing his attention to you and watching as his mouth opened and closed, searching for words. "I've been told I can be a bit too sharp at parties," you added as his tongue darted out to wet his lips.

"Don't worry about it," he finally muttered, a smile pulling at his lips as you nodded. "I barely noticed," he continued, and a small chuckle escaped you.

"Oh yeah?" you asked, and he nodded eagerly at you. "So you sulking at the bar was just a coincidence, was it?" 

It was like you had killed him all over again as his heart sunk into his feet. Of course, it was nice to know that you had noticed him throughout the night, but now you must have thought he was pathetic, pining after you. "I wasn't sulking," he murmured. "Just wanted a quiet drink."

"Oh." Your smile faded slightly, and he already felt terrible as you shifted back to your feet. "Well, I hope you have a good night," you told him, forcing a smile back onto your lips as you moved to leave.

Tony panicked slightly, clearing his throat as he shook his head. "I didn't mean it like that," he started, watching as your brow furrowed in confusion. "I want to talk to you," he added, and you nodded as you took your seat again. 

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x