Bruce Banner X Reader - Like You Say You Do

A/N - This imagine is based on the song 'Like You Say You Do' by Gabriella Aplin. I hope you all enjoy it.

The lab was always the first port of call when you couldn't find your boyfriend. He spent so much of his time working away in his little safe space that you would barely see him for days at a time, and you had learnt that the only way to force him into spending time with you was to corner him whilst he was working. Eventually, he would realise he had no chance of getting anything done whilst you distracted him and he would give up for the evening, allowing you to whisk him back into the real world for a little while. 

This evening, as you approached the lab, you could hear a combination of muttered voices, and you slowed down, attempting to sneak up on them. There was no doubt that the only two people working so late would be Bruce and Tony, and that if you were to appear soundlessly it would scare the shit out of the latter and give your boyfriend something to laugh at.

"You know, she's the best thing that ever happened to you," Tony uttered, followed by a short span on silence as you stopped moving entirely, a small smile coming to your lips.

"I know."

"She takes better care of you than you ever have of yourself-"

"I know, Tony."

"She's funny and smart, and my God dude, she's completely out of your league," Tony finished with a small chuckle. 

Bruce released a soft sigh, and for a moment you considered turning tail and running as far as you could get. You shouldn't be listening to his private conversations, especially when they were about you. "I know."

"Does she know that you know?"

There was a moment of silence, and you almost had to stifle a chuckle as you imagined the look of confusion on your boyfriend's face. "What do you mean?"

"Do you ever tell her you appreciate it? Does she know how thankful you are to have her in your life?" There was another pause, and then Tony let out a small snort of laughter. "Yeah, I thought so. Man, you've got it so good with this girl, don't go messing it up just because you're too focused on work to ever show her you love her."

"We don't talk about stuff like that," Bruce uttered, his chair scraping softly across the floor as he shifted on the spot. "She knows I love her, I tell her all the time."

"You know that saying it doesn't mean a thing if you aren't acting on it, right?"

Another sigh, heavier and more frustrated than before, escaped Bruce. "Stop being so cryptic, you know I find it hard to have these conversations."

"Pepper and Y/N have been talking more recently. I've only heard snippets, but I just think you need to step up and show her how you feel sometimes."

You took a deep breath, pushing off of the wall to move towards the entrance to the lab and smiling as you pushed the door open a little further. "Evening, boys," you uttered, your eyes finding Bruce immediately in the cluttered room. "You had dinner yet?"

Bruce smiled as he got to his feet, moving around his desk to press a soft kiss to your lips. "We had a late lunch," he murmured, his hand lingering on your waist for a moment before he released you fully. "But I think I'm ready to call it a day if you want some company," he added, brows raised as he waited for your answer.

"How about I order some take out and we watch a movie?" you started, taking his hand in yours. "Nat was telling me about this new Thai place that just started delivering."

"Sounds great," he told you, leaning in to kiss you again. The kiss was so sweet that your cheeks tinted red with blush as you pulled away, your hand moving on instinct to rest on his chest. 

*Time Skip*

You were in your PJ's an hour or so later, cuddled up to Bruce's side as he picked through your food. Apparently, his hunger had come back upon seeing your food, and now he was going full scavenger on what was left of your dinner. He glanced up at you when he felt your eyes on him, a small smile pulling at your lips when his brow furrowed in confusion. 

"You're cute," you uttered, leaning forward to press your forehead against his shoulder. Bruce stayed quiet for a moment, his mind searching for something to say or do that you make you realise that he loved you like you loved him. It seemed so easy for you to show it. Bruce cleared his throat, and you shifted slightly, leaning back to look at him properly. "What's up?" you murmured, your eyebrows furrowing, almost meeting in the middle from the pure concern on your face.

"Nothing," he started, so suddenly that it came off panicked and nervous. "Nothing," he repeated, much softer this time as he lifted his arm, gesturing for you to move closer to him. "Just thinking that we should go away this weekend; just the two of us."

You hummed slightly, shifting to lean your body into his embrace. "Sounds good," you uttered. "But you've got work."

"Nah," he started, his hand coming up to play with the ends of your hair. "Tony owes me some time off anyway and we haven't got a real project on the go at the moment. I'd much rather spend the time with you."

A small bubble of laughter escaped you as you glanced up at him. "Looks like you've got it all figured out," you told him, your voice slightly teasing as you took his hand away from your hair and pressed a kiss to his knuckles. "Where are we going?"

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x