Part 11

I  went to grocery shopping with my mother and it was so sad that I had to say that it was rare for her to come back around to give me attention. It was really suspicious to me because usually she only comes back to bond with us when she has something to tell us and we must follow her orders but this time it was nothing. She just wanted to go grocery shopping with me.

She arrived at our apartment last night after Joel dropped me off, I was surprised to see her here and she told me that my older sister flew to Paris for some internship she assigned her to do.

"What's for dinner tonight mom?" I asked while pushing the trolley.

When she was about to say something, her phone rang for the tenth time. She kept on answering calls from her phone, I wished she turned them all off so that she can bond with me more. Knowing my mother, she put her career and company first. I understand that but she couldn't even make time for her youngest daughter and perhaps even stop by to celebrate my birthday or even spend the weekends with me.

"Oh sweetie, I'm sorry." She said then she put her phone back inside her purse.

I nodded, "It's okay mom." Of course she forgot to answer my question after that long thirty minutes of talking over the phone.

After the grocery shopping, my mother decided to have dinner outside which made me pout sadly but I didn't want to show her that I was sad because she didn't want to cook dinner for me. I just wanted her to be a normal loving mother, is that too much to ask?

We ended up eating at a five star Italian restaurant.

"Sweetie, let's talk about your college. How are things? Did you get along with your college friends?" She asked and I simply nodded. I don't actually made any friends in my school but I did made friends with Joel's friends from his school.

"Yeah I have a few friends." I smiled but do you even care mom?

She nodded, "That's good then oh and I called Joel's mother the other day. She told me that Juan and you are still best friends. That's great sweetie, keep the friendship strong and you may never know it can turn out something more than that." She winked.

My brows furrowed, "Mom what are you talking about?" I asked.

She was still chewing the food, "Joel's parents are in the business like we are, her parents probably owns more then us." She stated clearly while sipping her wine in the most sassy way possible.

I raised a brow, "And? Why does that matter?" I asked.

She smiled, "Sweetie, you and Joel have so many memories together since the both of you were kids but now you and him are adults so us as parents might want you two to work out as a couple and get married, that can be a good investment for our family's company and his too." She said and my dropped.

Unbelievable, I can't just marry Joel. I never had or have feelings for him, I see him as a best friend. A brother from another mother. Why can't people around us understand that we're just best friends that same the same interests. Why do they have to meddle in and ship us or whatever. I grossed out thinking about marrying Joel because we don't have feelings for each other.

I shook my head, "Mom, no ew. He's my best friend. I can't marry a boy I don't have feelings for." I said.

She sighed, she looked like she was stressed out with my answer.

"Okay sweetie, I was just suggesting. Let's not argue okay? Let's just enjoy our dinner so how do you like your pasta? Is it good?" She asked trying to changed the subject. The fact that she didn't even apologized for making me uncomfortable a while ago about the whole talk 'me marrying Juan.'