💖Homesick (Johnmark)

Johnny isn't the type to express emotion very often, he usually acts cool and worries about the other members before himself. Johnny always seems to be super energetic and happy on screen, but sometimes even the happiest people on screen, can be suffering the most off screen.

The gang were all at an interview for their next album. Taeyong was basically the captain of the operation, the dreamies just goofed off the whole time and Johnny had a huge grin the entire time. He answered the questions enthusiastically and he made a few jokes here and there. He seemed like everything was going amazing.
After the interview, they all went back to their dorms. Johnny went straight to his bedroom without another word.

No other member seemed to notice, except for Mark.

When everyone was settled in, Mark nonchalantly asked jaehyun something in English so no one else could understand them.

"hey, does johnny seem kinda... off to you?"

jaehyun crossed his arms as he thought for a moment.

"um, i don't think so... he seemed fine during the interview."

mark raised his brow. something still wasn't sitting right as he thought of the older. jaehyun placed his hand on the younger's shoulder.

"mark, don't worry too much okay? if you really think something's up just go talk to him." with that, jaehyun left the room.

mark decided to at least check in with the older just to make sure.

"he knocked on the wooden door and waited a few seconds. there was no answer. mark placed his ear up against the door. through the wood he swore he heard a sniffling sound from the room.

"is he sick? he seemed just fine earlier..." mark grew worried about his hyung and decided to try knocking again.

"yo! Johnny!? it's mark, you okay man?" mark spoke in English as he typically does when talking to johnny.

he heard a loud sniffle and johnny clear his throat.

"yeah...i'm good dude." johnny cursed at himself as his voice quivered involuntarily.

marks big eyes widened upon hearing johnny's broken voice.

"johnny?.. can i come in?" mark's voice was calm and quiet.

it took a few seconds before johnny weakly responded.

"...sure..."

johnny's tone sat weirdly with mark as he turned the knob slightly entering the room.

johnny quickly wiped his cheeks and cleared his throat when his dongsaeng entered the room.

"hey." mark said softly as he closed the door.

"so uh...what brings you here?" johnny asked trying to hide his face.

mark shrugged, paying close attention to the older who was acting strange.

"nothin really, i just wanted to make sure you were doin okay that's all." mark wasn't quite sure how to ask johnny what was wrong.

johnny looked down at his hands, picking at his nails.

mark looked at his friend with kind eyes and moved closer to the bed.

"are you okay johnny?"

mark grew alarmed when johnny didn't answer.

mark was never particularly good when it came to comfort but he could tell something was upsetting his best friend.

he sat on the edge of the matress next to johnny.

he watched as johnny tilted his head upwards with glossy eyes.

"hey dude, you know you can talk to me about anything right?" mark placed his hand on johnny's shoulder. as soon as the contact was made, mark saw a tear roll down johnny's cheek.

johnny quickly reached up to wipe it away.

mark grew concerned.

"Johnny, what's going on man? you can tell me." mark looked into johnny's glossy eyes praying johnny would talk to him.

"mark..it's fine. i'm just tired."

"johnny can you please stop lying to me?"

suddenly johnny's face crumpled and he covered his face with his hands as water spilled from his eyes.

mark was shocked at the response but also relieved.

mark reached over and pulled johnny's hands from his face.

"come on man, tell me what's wrong." mark kept his hands on johnny's.

"nothing...it's it's stupid..." johnny said avoiding mark's big caring eyes.

"johnny, it's not stupid if it's upsetting you."

with those words johnny found it harder to keep his tears in.

"johnny please, don't force yourself to be strong. if you feel like crying than go ahead and cry. i'm never gonna judge you or anything man, i'm here for you."

more tears rolled down johnny's cheeks and he felt his throat tighten.

"mark... i just...i miss Chicago... i miss my parent's and my friends back home... don't get me wrong, i love being apart of nct and i love all of you guys so much. i just," his voice broke and he was dangerously close to breaking.

"sometimes it's...a lot to deal with and during that interview she asked about our parents and i..." he could feel his throat tighten. "i guess i was just thinking about my... mom.."

he wished it wouldn't happen but he couldn't hold it in anymore. a loud, broken sob came out of his mouth and he drooped his head, digging his palms into his eyes.

mark felt his heart break. he had never ever seen johnny like this and it made him worry that johnny might be bottling things up way more than he thought.

mark shifted on the mattress and sat close to the older. he wrapped his arms around the other pulling him into a tight hug.

"shhhh, shhhhh, it's okay, i'm right here johnny, just let it all out man." mark rubbed johnny's back as he squeezed the older tight.

"i know how hard it can be johnny, being so far from home, being bombarded with work and schedules, sometimes you wanna just curl up in your mom's arms and feel ten years old again. i get it man, i miss Canada so much and i haven't told anyone this, but some nights i get so overwhelmed with the language and practice, i just...breakdown."

johnny looked up with a shocked expression.

"wait... mark? does that happen a lot?"

"i mean... not a lot just, occasionally, when i have a hard day."

"and you just sit in your room alone?"

"isn't that what you were doing?" mark reminded with a raised eyebrow.

"yeah but it's different mark! i'm your hyung, i can't let you cry alone."

"what does age have to do with it? johnny i'm always gonna be here if you need me, etiquette has nothing to do with it."

"thanks mark." johnny smiled into marks chest.

"anytime man, anytime."