Chapter 24

Julie POV:

"So is this goodbye?" I asked her. "Of course not, silly." She stuck out her tongue and walked back to her place.

Once she was at her front door, she turned around and winked at me before disappearing into her house.

She always does these things to make me crazy. I'm still madly in love with her and I can't do anything about it.

"How do you feel?" Jay asked. "Relieved, I guess." I smiled at him and sat down on the couch but then I suddenly remember something.

"Shit Jay, we need to pick up Alissa and Camilla." I said and got up but Jay stopped me. "I already did, peachy tits. Stay hydrated. They're upstairs." He laughed so I rolled my eyes and sighed.

I drank my water and then walked upstairs to say hi to the girls.

I knocked on the door and soon enough someone opened it.

"Auntie!" Alissa smiled and hugged me. "Hey baby girl." I smiled and kissed her on the forehead. "How was your day?" I asked her. "Great, I made a new friend. She's new in my class." She excitedly explained. "I'm glad you did sweetheart."

I walked over to Cams and gave her a big hug. "How was your day?" I asked her. "Good." She smiled and looked at me. "How was yours?" She asked me. "Mine was just fine. What do you girls want for dinner?" I looked at them.

"Vegetables!" Cams said which kind of surprised me. "Vegetables it is." I smiled and walked downstairs.

"Jay, we're eating vegetables!" I yelled and I immediately heard him sigh. "I don't know what that is." He said and rolled his eyes as I came in.

"Ah come on lil rabbit, just eat your food." I joked and turned on the TV.

I grabbed my song book and started writing the song Demi showed me the other day. It wasn't finished so I'm gonna finish it and sing it in Demi's class.

I do not understand why she became a teacher instead of a world pop star. She could've easily been one of the most talented celebrities in the world.

But instead, there she is. My teacher, my neighbour and not to forget, my former lover. She is the prettiest teacher I have ever laid eyes on though. I can't deny that.

However, I began to write the words of the song and it just went so easily.

Once I was finished, I suddenly remembered something so I just quickly changed clothes and walked over to Demi's. I knocked on her door and she immediately answered it, as if she was standing right behind it.

"Hey." She said with a strange expression. "Hey, can I come in?" I asked her and she nodded.

"What's up?" She asked as I was walking around the house, looking for a picture in particular. "I was just wondering... Who is this?" I asked, holding up a picture of her and a little girl.

"That's m- my niece." She struggled. "How old is she?" I looked at her. "She turns 7 tomorrow." Her expression changed from scared to sad.

"I feel like I know her. She has such a familiar face. It's like... I don't know. It's a weird but familiar feeling." I said and looked down at the picture I was still holding up. "May I ask her name?"

"Her name's Madeline. Do you want something to drink?" She asked and rushed to the kitchen. "Demi, I feel like there's something going on or am I wrong?" I looked at her. "Not entirely." She said. "What is it?"

"It's a long story. I don't want to talk about it." She harshly said but then softened up. "Sorry. I didn't mean it like that. It's a sensitive subject." She looked at her hands.

"It's okay. Don't worry." I gave her a hug. "Well grandma, drink up your tea and make sure you're ready for my new song." I smiled at her and waved her goodbye before leaving the house.

Something strange is going on with her niece and I want to find out what it is. Once I got home, I immediately grabbed my computer and searched for Madeline Lovato on the internet.

Since it's her niece, she probably has another last name but then again, this is all I've got.

I instantly got plenty of results saying Madeline got abducted 4 years ago and there's still no clue where to find her. Demi's literally everywhere in the pictures, along with some other people. They all repeatedly come back.

"Madeline Lovato got abducted at the age of 3. Her mother found out whilst she came back from taking a shower. Madeline was not there anymore. She was nowhere to be found in her apartment. Her mother, scared to death, went outside to look for the 3 year old girl. She shouted her name but no success. The little girl was gone and her mother was found helpless. She immediately called the police and they arrived quickly. The investigation started and people were being requested to tell the police everything they had done that specific night. Her mother had to do the same. Tragically, there have been several tips from outsiders but no concrete evidence to call anyone an official suspect.

Four years later, there is still no clue of where Madeline could be. The police are doing reinvestigation of the case. If anyone has seen, heard or has any kind of new information, please let us know. Anything could be critical evidence we'd need to find Madeline Lovato."

I read out loud and checked the picture, which was attached to the same page. It's indeed the same little girl I was referring to at Demi's.

"Jay I found something horrifying." I said. "I heard. Sorry, I was listening." He said, a bit embarrassed. "It's cool." I said.

"So the kid has Demi's last name. She could be a total stranger of her's." Jay tried to comfort me. "She isn't. I remembered seeing a little girl at Demi's photographs a few days back. I went to Demi's to ask her about the girl. I actually just wanted to see her and that'd be a great excuse. We talked a bit and she seemed distance and strange when I asked her about the girl. Then I went back home and searched her name. I immediately got several results with this information. According to the pictures, she really is the girl and Demi's all over the pictures as well." I said within one breath.

"Slow down peachy. Just breathe in and out. We don't know anything other than what you just read. There's clearly something off about this but you don't know what it is and how affective it could be, bringing this up to Demi. Just be easy on her, please." Jay said and I know he was right.

I don't think I really have the right to make her explain the situation to me. We are only neighbours after all. There's just something tricky about this and I want to know what it is. I really can't help myself.

"You're right. Can you cook tonight?" I asked him with my dear puppy eyes. "Sure." He groaned.

Text to Demi:
Hey. Sorry for bothering you about Madeline today. I heard what happened. I'm sorry Dems.

I sent her the text but almost immediately got a reply.

Text from Demi:
You weren't supposed to know...

What does she mean? I quickly texted her back.

Text to Demi:
Weren't supposed to know what?

I waited for a bit but I didn't get an answer. I walked upstairs to see Alissa and Camilla playing with dolls. Cams is getting a bit old for it but she still enjoys it sometimes. She usually plays along with Alissa because she wants her to.

"Dinner's ready kids." I smiled. They both got up and got downstairs as quickly as they could.

"Someone's hungry." I rolled my eyes at them and walked downstairs as well. "Enjoy your food." Jay smiled as he put the plates on the table. "Thanks."

"Jay, can you hand me my phone?" I asked him. "We're eating." He stated. "I can see that. Now hurry." I chuckled and he got up. "You're welcome." He pitched his voice. "Thanks Jay."

I checked my phone and I honestly couldn't believe what I saw.

Text from Demi:
You weren't supposed to know that she's my daughter.

---------------------------------------------------------
04/04/19