Chapter 45

Julie's POV:

"Demi?" I asked and slowly walked closer to her as she took the pills. "What are you doing?" I asked her with some sort of fear in my voice. "They are just painkillers babe. I got a killing headache." She said and took another sip of her water. "Can I see them?" I asked her.

"What?" She almost laughed. "Can I see them?" I repeated. "They're gone Jules, I already took them." She rolled with her eyes. "Well can I see the package you got it from?" I dared to ask, even though I know it wouldn't be very nice of me.

"I can't believe this." Demi sighed. "You really don't trust me at all." She said in disbelief. "That's not true. I'm looking out for you." I explained myself. "Accusing me of taking drugs isn't what I'd call looking out for someone." She lifted her voice and I could feel myself getting angry but a tiny bit of fear as well. I mean, the last time she took drugs I came over and she nearly touched me whilst I didn't want to.

"I'm sorry." I apologized. "Here's the package. I'm going to take a walk. Goodnight." She said and handed me some painkillers. I really feel like shit now.

"Baby?" I asked before she left but she didn't turn around, she just left.

I get it though. I'd do the same if she'd accuse me of something triggering when I didn't even do it. I'm the one with an addiction at this point, she's actually doing really well, I can't say that about myself. Here I am, drinking a bottle of wine again, by me myself and I.

"Julie?" I heard from behind. "Hey sleepy head, what are you doing awake?" I asked Madeline as she walked up to me to give me a hug.

"I had a nightmare." She said and I wiped her tears away. "Do you want to talk about it?" I asked her. "No. I want to sleep with mommy." She said which broke my heart, knowing I actually scared Demi away and now her daughter needs her.

"Mommy's out for a walk sweetheart. I'll call her to come back." I softly smiled at her and then called Demi but like I thought, she won't pick up her phone. That's when I decided to just text her.

Text to Demi:
"Madeline's had a bad dream. She wants you."

She read it immediately which didn't surprise me because she'd still do anything for Madeline and I know she still looks out for both of us.

Text from Demi:
"Give me 5."

"Your mom will be here in 5 minutes baby girl. Try to get some sleep. Come here." I held out my hands for her to fall into them. That's exactly what she did. She snuggled into my chest and closed her eyes. I sang a little song for her and I could feel her drifting off again. It always works.

I could feel myself drifting off as well, until the front door opened.

"Hey." I smiled at her, she just smiled back but didn't say a word. Her eyes are all red and puffy and she's a bit shaky. Her hands are shaking and her face is just... different. I don't know, I've had a few. All I can see is that she's been crying and it's my fault.

"Sleep well baby girl. Mommy's here." Demi whispered to Madeline and picked her up to put her in our bed.

"Thanks for texting me." She finally said as she came back into the room. "No problem. She needed you." I said and took another sip.

"I think you've had enough." Demi said and took my glass away. "I'm sorry for accusing you. I didn't mean to." I looked at her but she didn't want to look back at me.

"Can you just look at me?" I asked her. "I'm going to bed. Goodnight." She said and closed the door behind her. I just cried. I cried till there was nothing left to cry about.

I decided to go out for a while. It's in the middle of the night but I really don't give a fuck.

I wrote a quick note saying I'd be back in an hour.

I took my earphones and listened to some music to calm myself down a bit. For as far as possible.

I laid down on the soft sand at the beach. I just started watching the stars. I've always had a thing for stars, once a sucker, always a sucker. It has something magical. It feels like a new world full of brightness, peace and happiness. It's stunning.

I've laid there for what felt like hours so I thought I should go back to the house.

I walked inside and no one was there so I decided to check the rooms. Yet there they are, both sleeping. I thought it'd be the best if I'd just let them sleep together so I took Madeline's room for the night. I predicted this night to be amazing but it got a whole different spin on it.

Goodnight world.

THE NEXT DAY

I woke up with a really bad headache. I decided to took some of Demi's painkillers so it'd go away.

"Good morning." I said as I saw Madeline and Demi sitting at the table. "Good morning." They said in common. "How did you sleep?" I asked them. "Good. I had a dream about this cowboy and he wanted to save me from the dragons." Madeline explained which made me laugh. "I'm glad he did." I smiled at her as she continued her breakfast.

"How about you?" I looked at Demi. "Fine. And you?" She said, not bothering to look up. "I couldn't sleep." I shrugged my shoulders and got myself a cup of coffee. "You want some?" I asked her. "Hmm." She responded to me.

"Where were you last night?" She asked me, still looking at the opposite direction.

"I was at the beach, looking at the stars to clear my mind." I said.

"Madeline, you can use my headphones so if you want you can watch Netflix." She suggested and the girl happily took her headphones and started watching Peppa Pig.

"Did you drink all of that last night?" Demi asked, pointing to the empty bottles on the ground. Alright I lied, I didn't buy just one bottle of wine. I bought three.

"Yes. I'm sorry." I looked don but I heard her getting close to me. "If there wasn't a kid around I would've slapped you across the face so you're lucky. Why are you doing this to yourself? You were holding up fine Julie." She said. "Holding up fine, that's exactly where it goes wrong. All this time I've been fine but have you ever used the word 'fine' when you're actually doing good? I bet not." I sighed.

"Why didn't you tell me?" She asked. "Because I don't even think about my actions, I just do it. It happens and I have no control over it." I admitted. "Let me help you." She said and took my hand but it felt strange.

"I'm feeling... weird." I suddenly said and I started to get a little shaky. "Did you drink enough water?" She asked me. "I only drank one glass to take some painkillers." I shrugged my shoulders and she grabbed me another glass of water.

"Drink this." She said. "Thanks." I took the glass from her and drank it as fast as I could. I'm getting really thirsty so I got myself another one.

I could feel my hands and my face shaking. Not extremely but just enough to notice.

Everything around me started to get blurry. "Alright baby, let's lay down for a while." Demi said and helped me get to bed.

"Julie, did you take my painkillers?"

————————————————————————
27/04/20

Vote and comment for more! ❤️