Chapter 25

Julie POV:

Text from Demi:
You weren't supposed to know that she's my daughter.

What. The. Fuck. She's saying that Madeline is her daughter. Her own flesh and blood. How come she never mentioned anything about it?

Well, to answer that one question, we don't know each other that well. Now that I think about her family, I don't know much about them either. I know who they are, what they look like and what their names are but that's it. I don't know Demi that well in particular.

I got her text five minutes ago and I've been staring at my phone for the past five minutes, not knowing what to say or what to think.

Of course, it's adorable that she has a child. She'd be a great mother. It's the part that her daughter's been missing for the past 4 years.

I honestly don't know if I should talk to her about it or not. I don't know if I should text back or not. Wait, I know that one. I should text back. It'd be pretty rude to leave her hanging in nerves about this. It's not just something you'd tell anyone.

Text to Demi:
If you want to talk about it, I could come to your place tonight. Don't worry too much about it Dems.

I didn't know what to say and now it sucked. At least I said something.

"Jay, are you doing anything tonight?" I asked him. "Not really, why?" He looked at me. "I'm probably going over to Demi's. Could you please stay with the girls?" I used my puppy eyes and he sighed. "Girls night it is." He said with his high pitched lady voice and the girls yelled in excitement so I thanked him.

"Why are you going to Demi's?" He asked me. "To talk."

"Can I come?" Camilla asked. "Next time sweetheart. I need to talk to Demi about some serious things." I smiled at her. "Boohoo." She pouted. Such a kid.

"Are you offended?" I smirked at her. "No!" She said. "Poor kid." I stuck out my tongue and stood up to grab some milk. "Anyone else?" I asked but got nothing in response.

Text from Demi:
Sure. See you in a bit.

"How about... we go over to Meghan and play with her dolls? Maybe we can build a castle with blankets and pillows!" Jay suggested to Alissa and Camilla. Yeah Jay, let's ruin Meghan's house!

"Let's go!" Alissa squealed and Cams nodded. "Will you do the dishes? Love you hunny, bye." Jay kissed me and then walked out, along with the girls. I just laughed at them.

I cleaned the dishes and the dinner table. I'm crazy for letting them stay at my place but they're the sweetest people I've ever met and they pay rent as well now.

I'm going over to Demi's in a few minutes and somehow... I'm quite nervous. I just don't know how to deal with a situation like this. I guess nobody does. I want to tell her that things will be okay but I don't want to make promises I can't keep.

Anyways. After a few minutes of thinking about every little thing that could possibly go wrong, I finally got a bottle of wine and walked over to Demi's.

As I stood on her doorstep, I thought about everything that could go wrong but then knocked on the door because I can't back out now. I mean I'm rude but not that rude, especially not to Demi.

"Hey." She said and let me in. "Come here." I opened my arms for her to catch them. We hugged for a while until she let go.

"You okay?" I asked her. "Yeah, it's just still sensitive and fresh to the brains." She mumbled and got herself something to drink. "You want some?" I asked her, holding up the bottle of wine and she immediately nodded.

"We can totally just talk about something else to distract yourself a bit, if you want to?" I suggested but she insisted. "No, we should talk. It would do me good and you'd get some answers. Not just answers about Madeline but also answers about some of my reactions towards you and my mood swings." She said and slightly smiled at me.

"Let's sit down." She said and we walked over to the couch. "Just take your time." I comforted her. She took a deep breath and started talking.

"I had Madeline when I was 19. Her father isn't in the picture. He never was and he will never be. That's a story for another time." She paused.

"I named her after my little sister, Madison, we have a really strong bond. Back to the story, this one night. We went to the beach that day. We had a lot of fun and laughed the entire time. I bought her a stuffed animal that day. It's a little sheep. She held it against her chest for the rest of the day, till she spilled some food on it. I wanted to wash it but she just kept crying. I decided to just rub it off and I'd wash it whilst she'd be sleeping. We finished our food and then watched Dumbo. She fell asleep very quickly so I brought her to bed early. She was just peacefully sleeping with her stuffed animal tight to her chest. I decided to let go of it and just check on her later on. Since we went out to the beach today, it'd feel good to take a quick shower. That's exactly what I did, I took a shower. When I came back, I checked on Madeline. Except, Madeline was..." She stopped.

"She was nowhere to be found." I finished her sentence and she nodded. "It's okay." I hugged her.

"That's when my nightmare started. We searched for days, weeks, months and all of those turned into years. Except for the fact that her window stood wide open and her stuffed animal was gone as well, there's no other clue of where she could be. I still miss her everyday. I had to move on but I couldn't. I just try to distract myself but I'm still searching for her, every second day." She struggled with her words.

"I still believe she's alive and well. I have to, not just for myself but also for Madeline. The police is reopening her case, which is why I've been really stressed the last few days. I'm sorry about that." She said and looked at me.

"Don't be sorry Dems, it's okay. I could never understand your hurt due the circumstances but I can imagine. I just want you to know that I'll always be there for you. Always. I'm going to help you wherever I can help. I promise." I said and she slightly smiled at me.

"I have to tell you something." She said. "What is it?" I softly asked her.

"I love you."

--------------------------------------------------------
14/04/19