Chapter 7

Harry sighed looking down at the book he held in his hands, he knew this was inevitable no matter how hard he tried to ignore and avoid it.

It had now been two full days since his slip up with Ginny and he had yet to address nor explain it, he was sure she was beyond mad.

Hey Gin.....

Harry James Potter! How dare you ignore me!! You owe me an explanation!

Well you see, I'm kinda sorta living in Snape's house with him and Malfoy

Why the bloody hell are you living with those two! They both want you dead!

It's a long story, and I'm sorry but some things I'd rather not share right now, at least until I find the words to tell you guys. I would appreciate it if you didn't tell anyone about this just yet, especially Ron. Feel free to ask me anything and I'll try to answer.

Fine

Thanks, Gin

So... what's it like living with the famous Draco Malfoy? I spoke to him a bit and he seemed just lovely.

Harry grinned and frantically scribbled what it was like to be living in the Slytherin household.

>•<

Draco took the box of color pencils he had received and carefully unwrapped it.

He took out one color at a time and lined them up neatly on the side of his paper. He selected the grey and began to color in the drawing of Hogwarts, being especially light on his shading in order to avoid one of the pencils breaking.

He smiled down at his artwork, as a sense of pride washed over him, a feeling he never got when thinking about the dark arts. He thought about Hogwarts as he drew, he didn't really have many true friends, besides Blaise Zabine. The only other friends he had were purebloods that his father insisted he socialized with.

He had always thrown himself into his studies and prided himself on his grades, however, he always fell short, he was second in his year academically, always being the runner-up to Hermione Granger.

Draco was never sure about the whole purity of blood that makes you superior, but of course, he would never admit it. He grew up in a household that engraved the idea that since he was a Malfoy he was superior. But if that was really the case, then why did a muggle-born like Granger always beat him?

Sighing, he put put down his pencils.

"I'm going out." He announced, grabbing his shoes. Harry didn't look up from his book.

He rushed down the stairs, grabbed a snack from the cupboard and ran out the door into the summer sun.

Draco knew this town like the back of his hand, when he was younger, anytime his parents were to busy for him, they sent him to his godfather's.

He knew everyone that lived on the street and all the little nooks of the small town.

He thrust his hands in his pockets and looked down at his feet as he walked.

Before he knew it, he was back in the town center, he passed Larry's and entered the cozy, old-fashioned store on the corner of the street.

A bell rang as the familiar scent of parchment and cinnamon filled Draco with happiness.

The walls had wooden shelves that ran from the ceiling to the floor. Every shelf was overflowing with books of many different sizes and colors.

With a little under 3 weeks left in summer, Draco had sought refuge at a bookstore.

"Draco, Dear!" A small, older woman appeared from one of the aisles of books, "is that you?"

"Good afternoon, Mrs. Whitley," Draco smiled warmly as the old woman kissed his cheek.

"Oh, look how big you've gotten!" She exclaimed, holding his shoulders back to get a better look at him. "Why I haven't seen you in ages! The last time you were here you were oh so little! How long ago was that? Three? Four years? How's that boarding school of yours going?" The women fussed over the young boy.

"I've been good, Mrs. Whitley." Draco assured the woman, "I'm living with Severus now, so I'll be around more now."

Mrs. Whitley smiled, at the boy, with a knowing look. It was clear that he was holding back pain in his features. The boy standing in front of her was no longer the young, happy, boy she had once known.

"Come have a cup of tea child." She smiled sadly, gesturing for him to follow her.

"Now is it just you and Severus in that old house of his?" She asked.

"No," Draco sat down on a cushioned armchair, "another boy from school named Harry Potter has come to stay with us as well. He's insufferable," Draco's sneer was ignored by the older woman.

"Potter? As in James Potter?" Mrs. Whitley whispered.

"Yes, you know him?" Draco confirmed, suppressing the shock that was twisting his features.

"Oh, Little Lily once brought that boy here, many, many years ago. They were a lovely young couple, I haven't seen them in ages. I wonder what happened to them."

"They died," Draco whispered, returning his gaze to his feet. "Harry Potter used to live with his Aunt and Uncle."

"Petunia and Vernon, I assume." Mrs. Whitley guessed, the friendly flicker in her eye seemed to dull for a second.

"How'd they die?"

"Murdered." Draco sighed, taking a sip of his tea.

Mrs. Whitley gasped and clamped her hand to her mouth. "Oh, poor Lily, her poor son! He's an orphan!"

Draco nodded and put down his cup, he had a foul look upon his face at the mention of Harry.

"Draco Malfoy! You stop that right this minute!" The woman scolded, "think about what he has gone through! There must be a reason he no longer lives with his aunt and uncle. And you, I know you're not telling me something. I'm not going to force you to but my dear, I'm always here to talk to. Just promise me to never take your pain out on other people. Doing that gets you nowhere in life."

"Thank you, I'm sorry Mrs. Whitley," Draco was red with a mix of embarrassment and shame, the look had been wiped from his features.

"Now finish your tea and pick out a book." The old lady said, getting up to greet a new customer.

Draco sat in the small store and read for hours until the sun began to set. He carefully put the books back in their place on the carefully arranged shelves.

"Goodnight, Mrs. Whitley, I'm heading home now," Draco called as he pushed the door open.

"Goodnight Draco, darling, next time you come by, make sure to bring Lily's boy." She reminded the young boy.

Draco nodded and offered a small smile, he took one last breath of cinnamon before walked through the door into the humid summer air.