Chapter 34

Do you want to come study in the library with me? Harry scribbled in the diary, waiting for Ginny's response.

Sure, I'll meet you at the portrait hole in 10.

Harry smiled and grabbed his shoes from his trunk. It was now the month of June and with that came exams.

Harry wished he could spend his Saturday playing a game of Quidditch with his friends or lounging lazily in the common room however, even Fred and George were studying for their O.W.L.S.

Grabbing all the books he would need and shoving them into his bag, Harry left for the common room. He would've ask Ron and Hermione to come along but Ron was still snoring in the bunk besides him and knowing Hermione, she would write up a schedule to follow and Harry just wanted to study on his own terms.

When Harry reached the portrait hole, Ginny was already waiting. Her long hair was tied back into a ponytail with a few strands falling over her eyes.

"Ready to go?" She beamed at him. "Mind if we stop at the Great Hall quick? I haven't ate yet."

"Yeah, sure." Harry agreed, opening then portrait hole so she could climb through first.

>•<

Draco Malfoy and Blaise Zabini hadn't left their rooms since classes ended around noon the previous day. They had yet to eat but didn't even notice their hunger, they were too busy slaving over the textbooks to think about anything else.

Draco rubbed his achy neck and turned to face Blaise.

"Breakfast is almost over, we should probably go down to eat considering we skipped both lunch and dinner yesterday." The blond stated.

"Alright," Blaise reluctantly agreed, "But were not done studying."

"No," Draco agreed, "how about we get a change of scenery? We can go sit by the lake, the weather is nice."

"Sounds good to me," Blaise nodded as he gathered his books.

The two Slytherins threw their textbooks into their bags and headed up to the Great Hall. 

"Hey, Potter's over there," Blaise nudged Draco as he spotted the raven-haired boy. "Oi! Potter! Over here!" The tan boy beckoned the Gryffindor over with Ginny Weasley in tow.

"Hey guys," Harry greeted, "what're you up to?"

"We're taking a break from studying to grab food and then heading down to the lake to get a change on scenery." Blaise sighed, "I really need to pass these exams, if I don't, my Mums' gonna murderer me."

"What about you guys?" Draco asked.

"Same as you, we're grabbing food and then heading to the library to study." Harry said.

"The library is a madhouse right now, you should come with us." Blaise offered.

Harry turned to Ginny to see her thoughts.

"Yeah," she nodded, "it's quite nice out, fresh air sounds better then a cramped library."

"Great!" Draco clapped, "We will meet you two back here in like 10 minutes?"

"Yeah, sure." Harry agreed.

"Oh and Harry," Draco looked at the green-eyed boy, "don't forget, we have to meet Severus for tea this afternoon."

Harry had been stuck in a whirlwind of studying that he totally forgot about the weekly commitment he had to tea with the members of his household.

"Thanks, I forgot." Harry admitted and the two pairs separated as they entered the hall.

Ginny and Harry took a seat at the Gryffindor table, immediately stacking their plates.

"I can't believe how much Malfoy has changed in a year." Ginny observed as she spread strawberry jam on a piece of toast.

"I don't think he changed all that much, I think he just doesn't have all that pressure to be perfect anymore," Harry answered, "he's free to make his own decisions and be himself."

"Yeah, he seems happier." She smiled at him, "so do you, you know."

"Harry laughed, "Well of course, I'd take anything over the Dursley's."

"No, I don't think it's just that," Ginny studied him, "you've finally got a family and house to call your own, as odd as a family as it might be, it's still yours."

Harry didn't reply. No matter how comfortable he became in his new life, it was still hard to come to terms that he had a family of his own.

As messed up it might be, Severus Snape looked out for Harry, he disciplined Harry but not to the extremes the Dursley's did. Harry could confidently say he could fall asleep on the living room couch without fear of being exposed or vulnerable, something he had never been able to do before.

Then there was Draco, Draco Malfoy who Harry despised just a year ago was now the closest thing he had to a brother. Harry used to think that Ron was just like a brother since they were so close. However he was wrong, Ron was just his best friend. Draco Malfoy had driven Harry to the brink of insanity too many times to count however, Harry still would rather have his presence than solitude. He knew all Draco's little quirks like how he had to have his clothes folded in a particular way or he would lose his mind, how he misses his mom and still has her picture under his pillow and her perfume on his bedside table. How he loved to draw and was really good at it, how night terrors haunted him in his dreams and most importantly how sensitive he truly was, every insult hurt the blond no matter how big or small, however you could never notice until you were behind closed doors.

Draco Malfoy grew up to be spoiled and pompous however he was held on a tight leash, not able to make his own decisions, however now that he's free he's just a broken fragment of his past self trying to figure out how to make it through each day.

"Would you leave?" Ginny's voice drew Harry from his thoughts. "I mean, if you had the option to go live somewhere else, would you?" Her chocolate eyes pierced through him from beneath her long black lashes.

"No," Harry stated, "no, I don't believe I would."

She smiled at him, the reason, unknown to Harry.

"Hurry up and eat, we have to go in a few minutes," she playfully jostled Harry's shoulder.

A blush crept up Harry's cheeks and he quickly shoveled a forkful of eggs to hide it. He didn't know what, but something about Ginny Weasley made his stomach flutter and his ears turn pink.