Chapter 57

The boys excitement grew as they approached the end of the summer. Harry's birthday had came and went and the Quidditch World Cup was a week away.

"Are you coming to the Weasley's?" Harry asked, he was laying on his back with his hands behind his head, looking up at the clouds.

"I'm not sure," Draco picked the petals off a lily, "I don't think your friends like me too much, I can't really blame them, I was horrible when we were younger."

"Ginny likes you," Harry said.

"Ginny is an exception," Draco threw the stem of the flower over his shoulder.

"I don't think Hermione minds you," Harry thought aloud, "it's just Ron."

"Yeah," Draco snorted, "and I sure Ronald would be just ecstatic that he has to share his room with me."

Harry couldn't argue, Draco would  probably end up staying in Ron's room.

"How're we getting around not telling the Weasley's about us living with Severus?" Draco sat up.

"Sirius," Harry sighed, "I'm his godson, you're his cousin, neither of us have parents, it would make sense for him to take us to the match," Harry explained.

"Ok," Draco sighed, "that makes good enough sense."

"Remus came up with it."

Draco hummed, there was a silence and he cleared his throat.

"Harry?"

"Mhm."

"I never did tell you what happened the day my parents... you know."

Harry shot up and looked at Draco and nodded for him to continue.

"My father, we never had the best relationship, you see, he did things a certain way and if it was done any other way it was incorrect," Draco took a deep breath, "that morning, we were arguing about the diary he slipped into Ginny's cauldron last year, the one that caused the Chamber of Secrets to be opened. I told my father that he
was acting for the wrong side, and we should be trying to prevent Voldemort's uprising instead of aiding it."

Draco paused and looked up into the clouds, "I didn't even know what was happening until it happened, my father raised his wand and hit me with the Cruciatus Curse. It was terrible, Harry, it felt like my limbs were being severed one at a time, I thought I was going to die," his lip trembled, "my—my mum heard my screams and came running, she threw herself on top of me and started pleading for my father to stop. I think the worst thing was his eyes, he was no longer my father. His eyes looked murderous, like he didn't care what happened to us. The last thing I heard before I passed out was my mother's screams," he shuddered, "they were terrible, and then I woke up in St. Mungo's."

Harry was at a loss for words, his throat was dry and his chest was heavy. He let out a breath before speaking, "I was abused."

Draco's head snapped in his direction, his eyes were wide, "what?" He breathed. 

"My Aunt and Uncle never wanted me, they hated my parents, they hated magic," Harry's shoulders were tense, "I didn't have the best childhood, I slept in the cupboard under the stairs for eleven years. They always made me do all the chores, everything I owned was a hand-me-down and I was my cousin's personal punching bag."

"That's terrible," Draco sounded appalled.

Harry nodded, "the summer after first year, Ron and the twins had to rescue me from Privet Drive, I had bars on my window, I wasn't allowed out of my room, they fed me through a hole in my door. Things didn't get really bad until last summer. Something in my uncle snapped... I don't know what would've happened if I didn't show up on Severus's porch when I did."