Chapter 30

At 8 o'clock Thursday evening, Harry left the Gryffindor Common room for the History of Magic classroom where he was having his first lesson with Professor Lupin.

He waited a few minutes in the dimly lighted room before Lupin showed up, carrying a large packing case which he dropped on Professor Binn's desk with an astonishing 'bang'.

Harry looked at the case, apprehensively, "what's that?" He asked raising his eyebrow at the Professor.

"Another Boggart," Lupin chuckled, seeing Harry's expression, "I found it in Mr. Filch's filing cabinet, closest thing we're going to get to an actual dementor." The man pulled off his cloak and draped it over a chair, turning to Harry with a small grin on his face.

"So..." Professor Lupin had taken out his own wand and indicated that Harry should do the same. "The spell that I am going to try to teach you is highly advanced magic, Harry, well beyond Ordinary Wizarding Level. It is called the Patronus Charm."

"And that will keep Dementors away?" Harry shuddered with the memory of the women, his mother, screaming and the flashing green light before his fell during the quidditch game.

"Your Patronus acts as a protector of sorts, if done right, it will ward off dementors, your Patronus cannot feel despair, therefore the dementors have no effect." Lupin explained, "each Patronus is individual to the caster, it will take form of an animal."

"How do you conjure it?" Harry asked.

"With an incantation. However for the spell to work you must be focusing on a happy memory," Lupin looked at Harry with a serious expression, "now, Harry, don't be discouraged if you cannot preform this charm, it is very advanced magic and witches and wizards more advanced than you struggle with it."

Harry nodded.

"Ok now repeat after me; Expecto Patronum."

"Expecto Patronum, Expecto Patronum, Expecto Patronum." Harry muttered under his breath.

"Ok, good, now focus very hard on a good memory." Lupin instructed.

Harry thought back to the time when he first rode a broom, "Expecto Patronum, Expecto Patronum, Expecto Patronum!" A wisp of white spewed from the tip of Harry's wand. "Did you see that?" He asked excitedly, turning to Lupin.

"Very good, Harry," Lupin patted his shoulder, smiling, "are you up to trying it on the boggart now?"

"Yes!" Harry said eagerly. His grip tightened on his wand and he moved to the center of the classroom. Lupin got the case from the desk and placed it infront of Harry.

Harry's worries grew as Lupin began to take the lid off, however he had no time to back out as a hooded, black figure grew infront of him.

As the Dementor moved towards Harry, a piercing chill covered the room.

The lights flickered and the rattling breaths of the dementor echoed in Harry's skull.

"Expecto Patronum..." Harry said weakly, "Expecto Patronum. Expecto Patronum!"

"Not Harry! Not Harry! Please! I'll do anything!"

Harry woke up on the floor of the classroom.

The lights were back on, the temperature normal and no dementors in sight. Harry didn't have to ask what happened. He sighed and threw his head back in defeat.

"Sorry." He apologized to Professor Lupin.

"Are you alright?" Lupin asked.

Harry nodded, pulling his glasses from his face so he could wipe the droplets of sweat that were trickling down from his forehead.

Lupin handed him a chocolate frog and Harry tried again.

This went on for about an hour and Harry was able to make a shield with the charm but his progress was not what he hoped for.

"Let's call it a night, Harry, you've ought to be proud of yourself, you made plenty progress for one night." Lupin remarked, retrieving his cloak. "Your father would be proud."

Harry gave the defense Professor a uncertain smile, "thank you, Professor, but I have to be ready for the Quidditch game against Ravenclaw! If the Dementors show up..."

Lupin interrupted, "Professor Dumbledore has spoken to the Dementors, the chances of an event like that happening again are slim, however if it does, I am confident that you could handle yourself. Now off to bed, it's getting quite late."

Harry nodded and stuck his wand in the pocket of his trousers. He bid the man Goodnight and retired to his dormitory.